Metro eases into land development, aiming to connect transit, housing and jobs

BeerNut

Metro eases into land development, aiming to connect transit, housing and jobs

The Metropolitan Transit Authority spent decades developing a network of parking lots where drivers could leave their cars and trucks and take transit to work. Now, its leaders are wondering whether those parking lots would be a attractive places for developers who may view those commuters as potential customers.

• Like 2

I always felt like P&R locations would be good places to encourage some sort of mixed use developments. It could prove to be extremely attractive for not just people who would live there, but the daily commuters who spend time there, too.

I think putting structured parking in the P&R lots (maybe with some kind of GFR?) could be really smart, rather than relying on surface lots alone- they could really get a lot of $$$ from projects like that. it’d be cool if we saw CityCenter-esque developments around the park and rides. It could be cool to be coming home from work, then maybe decide to go out and grab a bite to eat, or go to a dry cleaners, walk around a bit, then head home (whether directly adjacent to it or wherever you drove in from). Or someone could come meet you for dinner.  I could see this working at somewhere like the TMC transit center for sure.

I believe they’re floating ideas like this for the Wheeler TC redesign. A scaled-down implementation may even work in the further-flung P&R locations.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...