Photo: Downtown Houston from the air

editor

59 minutes ago, editor said:

That's what I thought at first, too. But it's 45 at 8, according to the satellite maps. 

Well, don't know what to say, except said maps are wrong.

45 at BW8 has a full stacked interchange--this does not.

You can also very clearly see the tent outside the HEB at Gulfgate.

Not to mention the northeast and southeast quadrants of the BW8 intersections are essentially greenspace.

35 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

Well, don't know what to say, except said maps are wrong.

45 at BW8 has a full stacked interchange--this does not.

You can also very clearly see the tent outside the HEB at Gulfgate.

Not to mention the northeast and southeast quadrants of the BW8 intersections are essentially greenspace.

Definitely 45 at 610

image.png.0bbfb0e846a90e9115d457480162dda2.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Two flights from Hobby for me in 75 years.  First flight was to Fort Ord Ca. Monterey.  Infantry Training Feb 1966.   The second flight was from Hobby to San Diego Ca to drive a rented U Haul back to Louisiana.  I had to remember the timeline a bit because I kept thinking about the travel to RVN in late 67.  I mistakenly thought I had left Hobby for Fort Lewis and departure from there.  It was DFW I left from to Fort Lewis.  At any rate I scarcely remember it as it looked so long ago.

I look at the freeway shots and recognize nothing today.  I remember 59 starting at the northern end of Jensen Drive but previous to becoming 59 it was a narrow blacktop 2 lane.  1960 off 45 was Jack Rabbit Road, nothing but pines trees.  On the weekends we would drive out to 1960 and picnic and shoot a 22 rifle into the woods. 

Left the service in Aug 70 and I had been away for 5 years so when we were landing at Intercontinental I looked out my window and was wondering where to heck are we ?  I never even knew there was a new airport.  I do know in the very early fifties and late forties on the eastern side of the airport authority land was the old North Houston Speedway, a small dirt auto racing track.  It was surrounded by cow pastures then.  Typical old wooden bleachers.  Just a few  years ago you could still see the oval impression of the old track which has been gone for decades.  I enjoyed the photos,  thanks so much to the poster

• Like 1