Fairview Street Improvements

I received this info in email from COH District C

CM Kamin asked me to share the following exciting news about much needed infrastructure improvements along Fairview. As many of you have seen, there have been a lot of great improvements in the area thanks to efforts by the Montrose TIRZ, City of Houston/Public Works, Precinct 1 Commissioner Ellis, and other partners. Unfortunately, one segment along Fairview was not scheduled for improvements until FY 25, despite the terrible conditions and high level of vehicular traffic.  

I am very happy to report that after a site visit taken yesterday that was coordinated by CM Kamin and our team, the Public Works Department has found a way to expedite desperately needed improvements. This is in large part thanks to the concerted advocacy of business owners and residents, the leadership and coordination of Council Member Kamin, and tireless effort from Houston Public Works, including Patricia Campbell and Patrick Nguyen.  

As such, the city is moving forward with the road rehabilitation of Fairview Street from Montrose Boulevard to Genesse Street. Work will include mill and overlay of the road surface, repair of any subsurface deficiencies, and complementary repairs to sidewalks along the project area. Construction is scheduled to begin August 8thand is anticipated to end by September 30th.  

The Fairview Street corridor is a core slice of Montrose, home to many of the area's best known and loved businesses, and the historic heart  of Houston’s LGBTQIA+ community. While the City has invested in improvements in several nearby roads including recent repairs to Pacific Street, the poor condition of Fairview and its centrality to mobility both within Montrose and in connecting surrounding communities made this project a priority for Council Member Kamin, and she and the whole District C team are extremely excited to see this project underway. Suffice it to say to have this expedited in this fashion is not only rare but a victory for the neighborhood. 

That being said, construction, no matter how welcome, can bring its own challenges. The Public Works Department, in an effort to expedite this at the request of business owners, will make every effort to work with businesses in the area, including a direct line of contact should any issues arise along the way. As soon as we receive further updates we will let y’all know, but given how quickly construction is going to start, we wanted to share the news as soon as we heard it.  

If you could please share this news with others in the area we would appreciate the help. Council Member Kamin looks forward to continuing to work with community members to bring necessary improvements and appreciates all of you in the collective efforts for our city and our neighborhoods.  

Best regards,

Lance M. Gilliam

Chief of Staff

Houston City Council District C, Office of Councilmember Abbie Kamin

Office: (832) 393-3004

Address: 900 Bagby St., 1st Floor, Houston, TX 77002

Follow Us: Facebook | Website | Newsletter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is so so so sorely needed.

I really hope that they do something to delineate the sidewalk from the road as there are so many vehicles that park at least partially on the sidewalk which forces pedestrians to walk out in the street. 

• Like 1

I'm impressed that the city is undertaking to repave this many blocks (and repair/construct sidewalks as well).
Can it really be done in a little over 1 1/2 months? That might be some kind of record for the COH.

Just now, dbigtex56 said:

I'm impressed that the city is undertaking to repave this many blocks (and repair/construct sidewalks as well).
Can it really be done in a little over 1 1/2 months? That might be some kind of record for the COH.

If it is like Fairview west of Montrose, they won't be doing any sidewalks. 

23 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Work will include mill and overlay of the road surface, repair of any subsurface deficiencies, and complementary repairs to sidewalks along the project area.

I was mistaken in assuming sidewalk construction, but it appears that sidewalk repairs are included in the project.

• Like 1

I was remembering District C "wish list" for pedestrian safety... those substantial trash can/planters( pedestrians could use as protection from traffic) at each  corner of Fairview and Taft. With all the street improvement- wouldn't It be great to install those things now? Wow, no potholed street, new containers, perhaps filled with greenery, it all come together so nicely......sorta screaming improved walkability for Montrose isn't a dead ideal after all.

• Like 1

If they actually build proper curbs, a whole bunch of "street parking" is going to disappear that should have never really been allowed in the first place. 

Also, part of Fairview is open ditch (by George) and some of these curb cuts are terrible. 

Pretty sure Fairview has 10' lanes, so I hope they just draw that line all of the way down and do new curbs and improve the pedestrian realm as much as they can.

• Like 4

• The title was changed to About Those Fairview Street Improvements
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Fairview Street Improvements
  • 2 weeks later...