Tipsy Clover Bar At 2416 Brazos St.

bwj

The Tipsy Clover is a new little pub on the other side of the Thirsty Cactus. Pretty cool vibe - clean, with a masculine lounge feel. The staff and owner have been super friendly the couple of times I've stopped by.

It is @ Mcilhenny and Bagby.

Yeah, the Cactus faces the back side of Specs on Brazos and the Clover is next door towards Bagby, but it faces Mcilhenney. They have a pretty cool little patio with a waterwall on the Bagby side.

I actually went in the day it opened after dinner next door and just hit it again for happy hour the other day.

I'm wondering how the bar will fare at that location. It's in the old Copa Room building, which is directly behind the Red Door. I always envisioned that complex to be more 'nightlife' as opposed to happy hour/relaxed bar, but we'll see how it does. I've always considered that area a bit more dressy/late night/stylish as opposed to a pub. Maybe because it doesn't have great visibility. There is empty space behind the Tipsy Clover that would make an excellent location for a third bar in that complex. I forgot the name of the restaurant in between Tipsy Clover and Red Door (used to be Casa Manhattan), but they don't do much of a business from what I've seen.

The Tipsy Clover's front door actually faces the backdoor of the Doghouse Tavern, which I believe to be a very similar bar -- atleast in terms of clientele. There is no question that that area is the hot spot right now for Midtown nightlife -- and has been for a few years. The Red Door has baffled everyone as to how they have managed to stay so hot for so long. Pub Fiction, Hue, and some smaller places (Light Houston, Bond, Escobar, Licor Lounge) have put a little pressure on them, but not much. With a big apartment complex going in at 300 McGowan, as well as The Edge and anything Camden finally builds, the influx of new residents will only improve their business. It's definitely a good time to be a single bar-goer in Midtown these days.

I'm wondering how the bar will fare at that location. It's in the old Copa Room building, which is directly behind the Red Door. I always envisioned that complex to be more 'nightlife' as opposed to happy hour/relaxed bar, but we'll see how it does. I've always considered that area a bit more dressy/late night/stylish as opposed to a pub. Maybe because it doesn't have great visibility. There is empty space behind the Tipsy Clover that would make an excellent location for a third bar in that complex. I forgot the name of the restaurant in between Tipsy Clover and Red Door (used to be Casa Manhattan), but they don't do much of a business from what I've seen.

The Tipsy Clover's front door actually faces the backdoor of the Doghouse Tavern, which I believe to be a very similar bar -- atleast in terms of clientele. There is no question that that area is the hot spot right now for Midtown nightlife -- and has been for a few years. The Red Door has baffled everyone as to how they have managed to stay so hot for so long. Pub Fiction, Hue, and some smaller places (Light Houston, Bond, Escobar, Licor Lounge) have put a little pressure on them, but not much. With a big apartment complex going in at 300 McGowan, as well as The Edge and anything Camden finally builds, the influx of new residents will only improve their business. It's definitely a good time to be a single bar-goer in Midtown these days.

Casa Manhattan is now called the Thirsty Cactus Cantina. I'm really not sure what name is worse - the former Casa Manhattan (when I think of Tex - Mex, New York City is certainly the first place that comes to mind) or Tipsy Clover. The only positive side to the name Tipsy Clover is I don't think anyone will mispronounce it, unlike another Irish themed bar downtown called Slainte. It's amusing how many people pronounce it "Slanty". Real pronounciation sounds more like "SLAWN CHA" (would almost rhyme with lawn chair). It

• 5 weeks later...

Apparently El Patio is replacing Thirsty Cactus....

Saw this on gochgazette.com:

Club No Minor Coming to Midtown

Word on the street....The Thirsty Cactus in Midtown is becoming Club No Minor/El Patio.. Thirsty Cactus will soon be Club No Minor/El Patio. It should open up March 1st.

There's one on Richmond. I've never been. But I know it's been there a while.

Wild. I went down to the Cactus to grab some fish tacos and a rita the other night and noticed it was closed. Stopped by the Tispy Clover again and had a few pints. Found the staff extremely friendly (introduced themselves, a handshake as I was leaving) and once again and enjoyed myself.

El Patio's Club No Minor was great, and apparently still is good. I remember you had to watch out for the blue margaritas. That would be great for Midtown if they could bring that exact atmosphere to the Thirsty Cactus location.

Speaking of Mexican food...downtowns La Tapatia closed (Milam & Congress). That was the only decent Mexican food place downtown. They were open after hours as well.

• The title was changed to Tipsy Clover Bar At 2416 Brazos St.