North Main Street Traffic and Safety Concerns

• The title was changed to North Main Street Traffic and Safety Concerns
  • 2 weeks later...

Ah yes, our neighborhood met with Bike Houston about this project. We have a lot of concerns around traffic volumes during concerts at White Oak Music Hall, which there are surprisingly a lot of. So they are revisiting a few of the intersections along the route to see if they can add in right and left turn lanes here and there. That being said, the project is ready to go forward once they get final approval from TXDOT.

Phase 1 is from Pecore to Boundary.

Phase 2 is Pecore to Airline.

Sort of poor timing but another contractor is repaving N Main right now. Wish they had waited for the bike lanes to come in so they don't have to remark it twice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Triton said:

Sort of poor timing but another contractor is repaving N Main right now. Wish they had waited for the bike lanes to come in so they don't have to remark it twice.

I wondered if that resurfacing was related to this project. Remarking fresh-ish pavement twice irks my OCD. Nothing like brand new markings next to barely grinded down old markings!

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 12:56 PM, JLWM8609 said:

I wondered if that resurfacing was related to this project. Remarking fresh-ish pavement twice irks my OCD. Nothing like brand new markings next to barely grinded down old markings!

I drove by this over the weekend.  The big sign says it's part of a $20-million city-wide resurfacing project.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 12:56 PM, JLWM8609 said:

On 6/21/2022 at 8:37 AM, editor said:

I drove by this over the weekend.  The big sign says it's part of a $20-million city-wide resurfacing project.

Right, he's saying it irks him that the resurfacing project isn't related to the bike lane project, so they'll have to remark this brand new road fairly shortly. I really hope that they find a way to make both work. The bike project is literally waiting on TXDOT approval but I don't see why they don't go ahead with the non-TXDOT segment while the road hasn't been paved yet.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Triton said:

They laid down the final markings. Sure enough, they didn't coordinate with Bike Houston so these brand new street markings will only be there for a few months. 

I drove through there as they were putting down the reflectors.  The worker was just kind of tossing them in place, so maybe they're meant to be temporary.

Still, it reminds me of the big outrage that arose in the early 2000's, when Smith, Louisiana, and a bunch of other downtown streets were repeatedly torn up by competing private fiber optic companies that didn't coordinate with one another.  I really though the city passed a coordination ordinance after that mess.