Khou And Newfound Respect

VelvetJ

Last night I saw a news story on Channel 11 regarding a new TV Ad regarding Tom Delay. At the end of the story, Greg Hurst read a statement from Tom Delay's office threatening any local TV Station with legal action if they chose to run the advertisment. Later, as I was flipping, I came across the same story on Channel 13, and after their story, the anchor read a statement from the station manager that basically said they reviewed the commercial and chose not to run it. I'm not even sure if Channel 2 even covered the story. :rolleyes:

This morning as I'm getting ready for work, I see this new commercial airing on channel 11 and before I knew it, I was clapping my hands and yelling at the set. Not so much because it was an ad that Tom Delay would view as negative, but in victory of KHOU not allowing themselves to be bullied by someone who has a reputation and track record of being one of the biggest bullies in politics.

I say Bravo Bravo Bravo to channel 11 for this action and for solidifying my opinion that it is the most objective of the major news outlets in this city. If it has a particular "leaning" it does a great job of covering it, which is something I wish I could say for a couple of other stations, whom I feel are too much of one or the other.

I love a TV station with guts.

Congrats to them for not being fearful of a bully. I'm sure KHOU could hold their own against Tom Delay if it came to a court case. Plus I think Tom Delay would ruin his reputation more for trying to hide the facts from his constituents.

but in victory of KHOU not allowing themselves to be bullied by someone who has a reputation and track record of being one of the biggest bullies in politics.

Yes, I saw the terse statement prepared by the little Tom Delay clone. What an ice princess.

I can't belive there are people my age who act like this.

But you REALLY have to wonder about the people in Sugar Land.

What's up with you freaks down there? Delay has been an obstacle for a long time, but he just kept getting elected by you sugary folks.

Hopefully that's all about to change.

Yes, I saw the terse statement prepared by the little Tom Delay clone. What an ice princess.

I can't belive there are people my age who act like this.

But you REALLY have to wonder about the people in Sugar Land.

What's up with you freaks down there? Delay has been an obstacle for a long time, but he just kept getting elected by you sugary folks.

Hopefully that's all about to change.

Polls, if you put much weight in polls, say he would lose the election to an unamed Democrat if held today. I only see things getting worse for Delay between now and the election. Wonder if he can survive the primary? Hopefully he'll be out of office by next year.

Congrats to them for not being fearful of a bully. I'm sure KHOU could hold their own against Tom Delay if it came to a court case. Plus I think Tom Delay would ruin his reputation more for trying to hide the facts from his constituents.

The Corruptlican from Sugar Land seems to have ruined whatever reputation he had to begin with.

B)

What a lame-o commercial. I was expecting a MoveOn attack ad or something similar based on the comments made by the DeLay campaign saying TV stations could be liable for playing it. Every comment the commercial made has references to established articles written in established outlets (Dallas Morning News, Washington Post, AP). It's not like the background information came from some obscure liberal blogger. How could there be liability in that?

Channel 13 should be ashamed.

Pineda, I loved that graphic the Chronicle has showing the DeLay-Abramoff connections. I remember reading it in the Sunday paper and thought it made a perfect graphic next to the stories from DeLay's speech last weekend with quotes on his innocence and upstanding character. It was a perfect yin/yang moment. I started laughing thinking some editor at the Chronicle really has a sense of humor putting them together.

Methinks DeLay doesn't want people to know about a 6 day trip he took to Russia with his pal Abramoff paid for by an unknown company registered in the Bahamas that no one is able to find out who owns it, but who also gave Abramoff $440,000 to lobby for Russian interests.

Our own congressman from lil' ol' Sugarland, taking money from Russians. What does Russia have to do with powerful American politicians? I can't wait to find out the rest of this story, cause it's got juicy written all over it.

A 3rd DeLay Trip Under Scrutiny

AP article via the Washington Post: 3 Houston TV Stations Refuse DeLay Ads

Interestingly, the AP story says KHOU chose not to run the ad, though I guess that may have changed since the AP story was published.

So I just watched the ad. I didn't think it was that bad. I think if DeLay didn't threaten the TV stations a lot of people (myself among them) wouldn't have given it a second look. He's only making himself look bad. It's been decades since any politician has been able to really take on the media like that and win.

Archived