Where Will Midtown's Center Of The Action Be

Bacchus

It seems to me that the development around Bagby/West Gray was done in the wrong area.

Seems to me they should have worked harder in an attempt to center the initial housing in Midtown around the rail line off Main Street.

Midtown Houston IMO is still 10-20 years away from being built out or even being close to being built out.

I'm guessing they didn't build around Main cause of property costs, however I still believe it would have made the most sense

The second "end of the universe" in Houston will be located in Midtown, when they build two CVS pharmacies right across from each other...

It seems to me that the development around Bagby/West Gray was done in the wrong area.

Seems to me they should have worked harder in an attempt to center the initial housing in Midtown around the rail line off Main Street.

Midtown Houston IMO is still 10-20 years away from being built out or even being close to being built out.

I'm guessing they didn't build around Main cause of property costs, however I still believe it would have made the most sense

• 8 months later...
Yeah, it is too bad the superblock was never developed. That area seems so vacant. I don't know why the rail didn't contribute to development.

The area around Bagby/Gray is nice, but I wonder how it will hold up as the complexes age. Large clusters of old apartment buildings don't much help a neighborhood.

i think midtown began as a result of and is centered by downtown. it's that simple.

And the other two corners will get Starbucks.

After reading the Houston Chronicle's articles Midtown doesn't seem to be this hot bed of activity. It sounds like there is some type of internal conflict between groups being unable to agree on the direction Midtown should take. The articles basically state that development is way behind and that there are many city blocks that have yet to be developed. Sometimes it sounds like Midtowners believe that they are going to build a new downtown or something, that makes no sense at all. I think it is because it is a small neighborhood perhaps trying to do too much. It is downtowns neighborhood and it took up the slack for a while during light rail construction taking place downtown. Now, it has become this neighborhood and downtown being completed will certainly assist its growth, and hopefully it will get back on track in terms of direction. It sounds like Midtown really does want a friendly environment with people walking around, etc. and not an alternative for businesses seeking to go downtown and into a real central business district, which downtown is. I have noticed fewer businesses making poor long term decisions about opening their businesses in Midtown lately and selecting to make more of a long term choice for their business in downtown now that it is starting to come back strong. What do you think ?

• 3 months later...

AMLI Residential of Chicago sold the AMLI Midtown, a 419-unit apartment property, to a joint venture betweeen Stonepost Properties of New Jersey and CMS of Philadelphia. Apartment Realty Advisors brokered the deal.

should be interesting to see what is happening a yr or so from now.

AMLI Residential of Chicago sold the AMLI Midtown, a 419-unit apartment property, to a joint venture betweeen Stonepost Properties of New Jersey and CMS of Philadelphia. Apartment Realty Advisors brokered the deal.

should be interesting to see what is happening a yr or so from now.

It has already changed names right? I thought I saw a sign for "Metro Midtown" or something over the old Amli Midtown sign. The sign said they are luxury apartments...that might be a stretch unless they've been remodelled since the last time I was in one.

It has already changed names right? I thought I saw a sign for "Metro Midtown" or something over the old Amli Midtown sign. The sign said they are luxury apartments...that might be a stretch unless they've been remodelled since the last time I was in one.

not sure. it will be interesting to see how maintenance will change.

If you're asking if I think they'll be around a while, yes. I don't have any detailed info, but they seem to be wisely keeping their costs down while still providing good equipment in a nice atmosphere. That's the key to sustainment while membership picks up. They're main appeal is location for the neighborhood right there, since most members seem to walk there to work out. That's a huge perk, as I know I wouldn't go to any place I'd have to drive far to get to - and why I joined.

Rumor has it, that gym closed due to foreclosure. Can someone confirm?

• 1 month later...

I have a feeling that AMLI (now Metro) will go down hill rather fast... I have a buddy who lives there and I'm down that way 5 days a week. Since the change in management he hasnt been able to get the leak in his roof (ceiling falling in) fixed or even the door that was kicked in a couple months ago. Seems that the gym there is "supposed" to be getting redone but from the rumors and the way other things are going I can't see that happening.

IMO, I think the crowd that currently resides in Midtown will migrate toward downtown and the light rail. Just my .02.

• The title was changed to Where Will Midtown's Center Of The Action Be?
  • The title was changed to Where Will Midtown's Center Of The Action Be

Archived