Terlingua Border Cafe

This restaurant is located on Studemont Near Montrose with a great atmosphere. On Friday Nights the restaurant is turned into a nightclub with There is a dance floor and they have a DJ. The food is great and the Drink specials are alomost unbeatable. On Friday from 10pm until 1am they have 2.99 margaritas 2.00 Domestic and and 1.75 Draft. Here is the link to their website.

This restaurant is located on Studemont Near Montrose with a great atmosphere. On Friday Nights the restaurant is turned into a nightclub with There is a dance floor and they have a DJ. The food is great and the Drink specials are alomost unbeatable. On Friday from 10pm until 1am they have 2.99 margaritas 2.00 Domestic and and 1.75 Draft. Here is the link to their website.

I've been to this place exactly once. It was awful. One of the salsas tasted like it came straight from the shelves of HEB. The other tasted like it too came straight from the shelves of HEB, but made a brief stop in the kitchen to have some jalapeno juice added. My friend's entree tasted like it was assembled from pre prepared items off the Sysco truck, and my entree came out stone cold.

My friends say it is great - I havent been yet - but I guess it's about time....I love a good rita....

I've been to this place exactly once. It was awful. One of the salsas tasted like it came straight from the shelves of HEB. The other tasted like it too came straight from the shelves of HEB, but made a brief stop in the kitchen to have some jalapeno juice added. My friend's entree tasted like it was assembled from pre prepared items off the Sysco truck, and my entree came out stone cold.

I'd have to concur -- the place is not very good. Apparently it's run by the same family who runs Cyclone Anaya's (another place that I've never been incredibly impressed by -- although their salsa is much better than terlingua). This location seems to be somewhat cursed, there have been 3 restaurants in here in the last few years... so far Terlingua has lasted the longest.

I dig it since I can walk there. There's just so much darn great Mexican food around the area, it is hard to say this is outstanding stuff, but there are a few things on the menu that I like. Odd - I dig the salsa, not necessarily the freshest stuff in the world, but tasty. The ritas aren't too shabby, either, which is important. But, true, once I move out of the apt, I'm sure I wouldn't purposely drive this way to eat there.

One of the salsas tasted like it came straight from the shelves of HEB. The other tasted like it too came straight from the shelves of HEB, but made a brief stop in the kitchen to have some jalapeno juice added.

Ever heard of Arriba Salsa? They actually do sell it at HEB, and most other grocery stores in Houston. The recipe? FROM CYCLONE ANAYA'S & TERLINGUA. It's that good!

Personally, I love Arriba Salsa, and at Terlingua, it's fresh, which makes it even better. (Terlingua has 2 salsas they serve with your chips - the darker one is the "Arriba" salsa recipe)

Terlingua's food is not Tex-Mex or Mexican or Texan, it's all of the above. They have excellent Tortilla soup, wraps, tostadas, chips, ceviche, frozen drinks (frozen bellinis...mmmm), and more.

I have been there about 10 times, and the food and service have always been fantastic. Until this past weekend. My friends and I went on Friday night, it was packed. There was a mix-up with our waiter and the kitchen and our food did not come out all together. We were a little upset, but the waiter was extremely apologetic, the manager comped our meal, and gave us coupons for next time. That is FANTASTIC service - owning up to your mistake and making it right.

I will be back to Terlingua. Maybe tonight - I'm craving chips and salsa.

Ever heard of Arriba Salsa? They actually do sell it at HEB, and most other grocery stores in Houston. The recipe? FROM CYCLONE ANAYA'S & TERLINGUA. It's that good!

Personally, I love Arriba Salsa, and at Terlingua, it's fresh, which makes it even better. (Terlingua has 2 salsas they serve with your chips - the darker one is the "Arriba" salsa recipe)

BS. The stuff I had was not fresh, and the one that tasted like Pace with jalapeno juice thrown in would not have made it to the grocery store shelves.

I've had good salsa and it's always in Texas.

...I've had good service, and it's NEVER been at Terlingua.

I can deal with food that "I" might not prefer (which I don't at Terlin.), but service is one thing I expect to be good...or decent at a resturaunt.

With so many options for Tex-Mex here, this place doesn't even make the list.

Oh, and while I'm on a rant....When did Tex-Mex places decide that 8$+ was an acceptable price for rice, beans, tortiallas and some cheese. Widely known as the cheapest food of all to create, has Tex-Mex in Houston become 'upp-iddy'? :ph34r:

I'll stick with the multiple Taquerias near N.Main these days.

Oh, and while I'm on a rant....When did Tex-Mex places decide that 8$+ was an acceptable price for rice, beans, tortiallas and some cheese. Widely known as the cheapest food of all to create, has Tex-Mex in Houston become 'upp-iddy'? :ph34r:

I'll stick with the multiple Taquerias near N.Main these days.

agreed - and those places can apparently get away with charging higher prices to the folks who don't (or won't) do the traditional taqueria thing... :rolleyes:

BS. The stuff I had was not fresh, and the one that tasted like Pace with jalapeno juice thrown in would not have made it to the grocery store shelves.

Actually it is made fresh. When the salsa is made they actually roast fresh tomatoes, they use fresh cilantro, and fresh jalepenos among other things. These ingredients make up what is called salsa fresca or fresh salsa

I have seen many dishes prepared at this restaurant. You may feel that some things are over priced and quite honestly I think some are too. The refried bean are not from a can, they are actually homemade at the restaurant. If the owner wanted to lower the prices then he would probably go that route. If you have ever been to this restaurant you know this is no Taqueria that is why you pay a little more. And for those of you who only eat beans and tortillas when you come or stick to the safe choices like nachos or quesadillas you have no Idea what you are missing. Some of Terlinguas best dishes are the "off the menu" specials

Pollo Frances - a lightly French Fried Chicken Breast smothered in sauted mushrooms and a creamy chardonay sauce 11.99 :wub:

Enchilada Suizas - 3 Enchiladas filled with roasted chicken and topped with a Sour Cream Sauce. This recipe comes from the mother of Cyclone Anyas 9.99

Lobster Enchiladas- Speak for themselves 15.99

Enchiladas Florentene- Crab meat with spinach topped with a creamy white wine sauce 15.99

Chicken Lajitas- Marinated Chicken Breast smothered in a spinach artichoke sauce topped with mexican cheese have this with Rosemary Potatoes and homemade refried beans. 11.99

Lunch 5.99-7.99 1 or 2 items plus beans and rice drink included in the price ^_^

For those of you who are skeptical I challenge to go back to this restaurant and try one of the above dishes and see if you don't change your mind about the food! :P

Right now they are offering a 15% coupon to customers who come in for the first time

For those of you who are skeptical I challenge to go back to this restaurant and try one of the above dishes and see if you don't change your mind about the food! :P

But what about the service? Some of those dished sound good....and there's a place for every priced menu.

But my personal issue with the place is the service. I've been twice, both on weeknights, when we were one of ~2-3 tables in the resturaunt. On our second trip there and being neglected (when I had less patience), I walked around to the bar (they sat us towards the left/back) and the waitress was sitting at the bar with her friends (who didn't work there) just BS'ing.

Sorry, but after twice, I won't be back.

I do hope the place makes it though, because I sure don't want to see that spot vacant. After 3-4 different places on that corner in the 3 yrs it's bee built, hopefully one will stick.

But what about the service? Some of those dished sound good....and there's a place for every priced menu.

But my personal issue with the place is the service. I've been twice, both on weeknights, when we were one of ~2-3 tables in the resturaunt. On our second trip there and being neglected (when I had less patience), I walked around to the bar (they sat us towards the left/back) and the waitress was sitting at the bar with her friends (who didn't work there) just BS'ing.

Sorry, but after twice, I won't be back.

I do hope the place makes it though, because I sure don't want to see that spot vacant. After 3-4 different places on that corner in the 3 yrs it's bee built, hopefully one will stick.

I agree that is unacceptable behavior. The owner is in the process of making some changes so that these things will not happen going forward...when those changes happen I will let you know... This restauraunt has huge potential.

• The topic was unlocked

Archived