Downtown Hangout Closed

This article is about the closing of a popular hangout spot or "third place". According to the article some feel that Houston needs more "Third Places" to hangout. What do you think and where are some of the places you go that you would consider a "Third Place" for you? :rolleyes:

chron.com

that is sad - i liked kaveh kanes. it would have been a great spot indefinitely except for the fact that it was nestled among loud obnoxious establishments...

plus, i guess it goes to show that most still prefer their starbucks.

I like Kaveh Kanes because it was quiet and had free Wifi. Mostly because it was really quiet. You could go there and have some coffee and read and think. It was a good place to relax.

But much like many other non-chains, the coffee sucked. Really really sucked. I'd always get tea or something non-coffee. I know people are programed to think it's cool to hate Starbucks, but at least 'Bucks has consistantly good coffee.

If I had my druthers, I would buy coffee at Starbucks and then sit and enjoy it at Kaveh Kanes. I'd give them five bucks for the priviledge of sitting there and using their wifi.

I stopped by the Franklin Coffee House when Kava Kanes closed and it was nice. I don't drink coffee but my neighbor said it was good, and they have a nice atmosphere.

Typically my "third places" are The Flying Saucer and Warrens...I can always find a regular to talk to and the bartenders are always friendly.

I'm sorry that downtown no longer has Kaveh Kanes, because also happy because it meant the opening of my favorite "third place" -- the Petrol Station in Garden Oaks. It is a Godsend for the neighborhood, and has become the hangout for everyone from hipster teens and yuppies, to stay-at-home moms, to the retiree crowd. Petrol Station serves great coffee, food and also beer and wine. The owner has young kids, so he put up toddler play equipment in the back. We love it, because we can walk to it, instead of driving.

I thought it was weird that the Chron focused so much on the closing of his other place than the success of his new place. :D

• 2 weeks later...

No! I loved Kaveh Kanes! I hadn't been there in about six weeks because my work schedule has kept me out of town more than normal. But over the summer and fall when I often rode MetroRail downtown for lunch on Fridays, and then walked over to Kaveh Kanes for a drink and worked the afternoon there since they had free Wi-Fi. It was a great environment - quiet, subdued and there was definitely a sense of community as they had quite a few "regulars" that were always there. I guess now I'll have to check out Franklin St. Coffee and see what it's like.

• 1 month later...
The word is that the Treebeards people are looking to lease 912 Prairie (Old Kaveh Kanes site) to HPD to be used as a substation. Read: holding cell / drunk tank. What a waste of a beautiful and historic building...

No way! That place is perfect for a small cafe or bar. It would be a total waste for a police station.

The word is that the Treebeards people are looking to lease 912 Prairie (Old Kaveh Kanes site) to HPD to be used as a substation. Read: holding cell / drunk tank. What a waste of a beautiful and historic building...

Ahh! For the nice drunks! <_<

Will they have a dress code and cover charge?