What does Houston mean to you?

As part of a project I've had banging around in my mind recently, I'm interested in others' thoughts about what Houston means to them. Specifically, when you think of Houston what are some of the first things that come to mind?

What makes Houston different from any other major city? What, if anything, really symbolizes Houston for you?

More than anything, you think of Houston as the ______ city?

Really interested to hear everyone's perspectives!

100 % agree with @editor

From my perspective, Houston is THE "Workers City" and that goes from blue collar up to white collar. Houston is a place where you go to work and get work done, for better or for worse. Its also the easiest city to call home whether you are from there or are a recent expat. What I have said above is actually what creates a complicated relationship for me with the city. Because its the city of my youth during a time when I didn't like myself, I always seem to slide a bit personally and get a little to comfortable even if I'm getting a lot of work done. Its why I can't see myself always living in Houston indefinitely sometime in the future, but it will always remain a touchstone. A place that is in my back pocket and will be there to carry me if I fall down wherever I go, and that kind of security is very rare with most cities. I too have lived in a variety of places, including now in Salt Lake City, and what is peculiar is I'm always interested in jumping to cities with very particular mono-cultures that are vastly different from who I am, and where I came from, Houston. Houston is the most eclectic in regards to culture, the city that is actually weird, the most diverse, and the friendliest. What I love most is that it doesn't puff out its chest and preach these values. Instead it just lives it. Its also why I always tell people that Houston is the true bona-fide American city in every sense of the word (even right down to its lack of zoning!). Its THE melting pot, and at the same time is THE place where American values continue to thrive to the fullest. Houston is a city of action, not words, and its why unfortunately it sometimes doesn't get the recognition it rightly deserves for actually practicing the values a lot of cities preach about, and pretend they value when they really don't, or they are just a bunch of fakes. It was interesting living there in the city for my late 20's as opposed to the time I grew up in the suburbs because I really got to understand how people approach life. Yes on the exterior people come off as pretty conservative, but once you are behind closed doors people are willing to talk about anything and everything and are actually pretty liberal (in the true sense of the base term, the original meaning of liberal, as in the center with varied views and opinions).

Like Editor's example of Seattle, I also lived in a city that would often try really really hard to come across as "open, diverse, inclusive, and progressive", and that city was Berlin, Germany. Germans are great people, but it was a weird experience because many of them seem really open and "liberal" on the exterior, but they are a very conservative bunch behind closed doors. Very tight social circles, and even though most speak English it will be very difficult for them to include you in things if you aren't German, and even if you can speak the language I learned really quick that you can speak the language, look German, act German, but at the end of the day if you weren't born there....you just aren't German, and they will treat you different even if its subtle, and its not like its even bad. Its called Germany for a reason right? Its the nation for Germans, its in the name haha, but thats what I mean about the facade of "liberal". A lot of what the city would preach or push, and the same with the people would just seem surface level. Its also not a city you "live in". Its the place you go to make money, climb the ladder in your industry, party your head off, and what was very evident to me when I was there, the place you go when you are a 20 something and are just...lost in life. This applied to both Germans and Internationals. Its a city that is a wonderful dream, but then one day you wake up and realize its time to get serious and start your life and you leave. Miss it totally, and can't wait to visit again as I still have a lot of my International friends there, but its a city of a particular time of my life and that's what it will be.

The above is simply to exhibit a contrast with Houston. Now does this mean Houston is perfect, or everything is great? No. Does this mean Berlin is bad to live from what I provided? No. Just very different cities for different people at different times in life, and I've come to accept that. Not every city has to be everything you want it to be. All it needs to be is match the person you are then, so you can maximize the benefits to grow as a person for where you are at in life, and that is okay. Berlin was a great city that got me out of my comfort zone, and pushed me to be the best I could possibly be, and learn who I really am as a person. Houston was the city that caught me when I fell, dusted me off, put me back to work, and said yes you can do what you want to do, just do it. Got a lot of work done, and worked a lot of great projects, and meet some wonderful people. That's just me though. Interested in what others think.

• Like 6

On 12/2/2021 at 3:20 PM, Andrew Ewert said:

As part of a project I've had banging around in my mind recently, I'm interested in others' thoughts about what Houston means to them. Specifically, when you think of Houston what are some of the first things that come to mind?

What makes Houston different from any other major city? What, if anything, really symbolizes Houston for you?

More than anything, you think of Houston as the ______ city?

Really interested to hear everyone's perspectives!

diversity: whether it was through opportunity, open arms, convenience, or whatever, Houston is a city where people from many different countries of origin have landed and built their homes. we are all better for their contributions to Houston's specifically rich culture that is unique in this world.

dichotomy: I suppose this plays off of the diversity, but where else can you get a mall with world class stores, and in the parking lot there is a sex shop? I mean, that isn't a thing any longer, but I am still proud that this city was designed in such a way so that things like that can happen.

• Like 5

In the original (1975) version of the movie, Rollerball, Houston was called "the energy city." That nickname always seemed appropriate.

An Operating Company based in (you guessed it) Houston will soon turn on an oil and natural gas well they drilled on land my extended family owns.

Haven't been to Houston recently, but hope to return for a visit in the near future.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unlike the city itself, the Houston Texans professional football team has a won/loss record that seems low on energy this season. However, their 30 to 16 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars yesterday (12/19/2021) is a step in the right direction.

Edited by k5jri radio

22 hours ago, k5jri radio said:

Unlike the city itself, the Houston Texans professional football team has a won/loss record that seems low on energy this season. However, their 30 to 16 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars yesterday (12/19/2021) is a step in the right direction.

at some point the value of winning games gets overshadowed by the draft position. in that way, they lost this weekend.

The integrity of sports competitions presupposes that the respective opponents put forth their best efforts to win, regardless of whatever incentives there are to do otherwise. The 1919 Black Sox Scandal (professional baseball players accepting bribes) is probably the best known example of doing otherwise.

The NFL policy of awarding preferential draft picks to teams in inverse order of their prior season ranking has the stated purpose of equalizing the talent pool among their respective member teams. It has the unfortunate side effect of giving low-performing teams an incentive to lose games.  

As of this posting, the Houston Texans (currently 1 win, 1 tie, 11 losses), are likely to end the 2022 season in a favorable draft position. After their loss (12/11/2002 vs. Dallas Cowboys), one sports writer opined that, late in the game, the Texans opted to try for a field goal rather than a touchdown to lessen the chance they would jeopardize their draft position by winning the game. It follows that those who believed last year (2021 season) by winning the game vs. Jacksonville Jaguars the Texans "lost" by not preserving and possibly degrading their draft position, would now believe (2022 season) by losing the game vs. Dallas Cowboys, the Texans "won" by preserving and possibly improving their draft position.     

Edited by k5jri radio
more complete information

• 11 months later...

The Houston Texans, having lost again (12/18/2022), this time to the Kansas City Chiefs, maintain and probably improve the likelihood of their (the Houston Texans) ending the current season in a favorable draft position compared to other NFL professional football teams. Update: The Texans' week 18 (32 to 31) victory over the Indianapolis Colts puts them #2 in draft position behind the Chicago Bears who are #1 in draft position. As things stand at the end of regular season games, Lovie Smith is the second consecutive Texans Head Coach to be fired after one season.  

Edited by k5jri radio
clarification

I like the answers here of “The Hospitality City” (in many senses of the word imo) and “The Workers’ City” (I also suppose that’s why we’re called “Hustle Town”, too :) ). They’re both very apt. 

I think “dichotomy” is an amazing descriptor too. I feel like we’re both extremely hospitable while also being kind of inward-facing and insular. Like people from Houston (and even most of the suburbs I’d reckon) are very “Houston-first” in a lot of ways that I find really difficult to put my finger on.
Like of course there is a lot of Texas Pride, but it seems like people in Houston will identify with the city first before the state overall, at least I know I do (and so does my family who lives here). 

Edited by BEES?!
  • Like 3

Very late to the party but to me Houston is the INNOVATION city.  In no particular order…

1. Dredged Buffalo Bayou to become the Port of Houston

2. Built the first domed stadium

3. First heart transplant

4. First city to create Life Flight

5. First city to put a man on the moon

I’m sure I’m forgetting something…

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2022 at 1:43 PM, BEES?! said:

I think “dichotomy” is an amazing descriptor too. I feel like we’re both extremely hospitable while also being kind of inward-facing and insular. Like people from Houston (and even most of the suburbs I’d reckon) are very “Houston-first” in a lot of ways that I find really difficult to put my finger on.
Like of course there is a lot of Texas Pride, but it seems like people in Houston will identify with the city first before the state overall, at least I know I do (and so does my family who lives here). 

I'd been waiting to see if this particular thought would show up. Actually debated starting a thread on it to see if it was a distinct feeling that I had on my own, but I'm glad to hear it's not.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The interesting posting of Houston "firsts" is correct, provided there are certain qualifications:

The world's first heart transplant (human) took place on 12/03/1967 at Groote Schuur Hospital, Capetown, South Africa. The USA's first successful (survival time measured in months and/or years) heart transplant (human) took place on 05/02/1968 at St. Luke's Hospital, Houston TX.

Mission Control for the first manned landing on the Moon (07/20/1969) was at Johnson Space Center, Houston TX; however the actual launching took place at Kennedy Space Center, located on the northern portion of Merritt Island, a peninsula in Brevard County, FL.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

According to what I've read, back in the 1950s and 1960s, many Texans came to southern Louisiana to work for various petroleum (exploration, drilling, production) companies. Fortunately for them, the Ford Motor Company assembly plant in Dallas TX provided "Built in Texas by Texans" decals and stickers for those who wanted to show off their "Texas pride." Due to depressed nationwide economic conditions, Ford closed the Dallas assembly plant in 1970.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 8:04 PM, steve1363 said:

Very late to the party but to me Houston is the INNOVATION city.  In no particular order…

1. Dredged Buffalo Bayou to become the Port of Houston

2. Built the first domed stadium

3. First heart transplant

4. First city to create Life Flight

5. First city to put a man on the moon

I’m sure I’m forgetting something…

first permanent breast implant

• Like 1

Houston born and raised here: Houston means a million things to me. Most importantly, in my opinion, is diversity. I can talk to people from every walk of life here in Houston. I can learn from people from every single culture and every walk of life. That's not quite possible anywhere else in the world. Here's an Elise Gravel illustration to illustrate why I love diversity so much. 

ewzF3Tl[1].jpg

• 1 month later...

Several former Houston residents I've talked to stated they liked Houston because of its [1] diverse population and culture and [2] many quality restaurants and night clubs.

According to a long-time and current Houston resident, the severe economic recession in Houston during the 1980s caused many people to move away from Houston and find employment elsewhere. When the recession subsided and the economy recovered, things were subjectively different. According to this resident, the traditional uniqueness of Houston's culture was replaced to some extent with what he termed a "generic big city" culture.

Either example could be a starting point for a more disciplined study with adequate sample sizes          

The opposite (antonym) for "precious" is worthless, useless, or valueless. Although the people living in any given city are capable of "indifference", blunt or otherwise, the city itself is an inanimate political entity, not capable of anthropomorphic behavior.

• 5 months later...