Architects and their city designs

On 11/22/2021 at 10:51 AM, Houston19514 said:

I don't know... I'm not sure it really rises to a question of ethics.  If a self-absorbed architect wants to fluff up an audience by allowing them to believe what they want to believe/hear what they want to hear on a matter as inconsequential as whether they save their best work for a particular city... not sure there's any real harm done.

It's interesting that Phillip Johnson has also been quoted as saying "Glibness will get you anywhere."

Ok. This has generally been my view of the matter. Some of the architects on here thought that it was unethical. I rather like that he saved his best stuff for Houston, if he in fact did.

Edited by H-Town Man

Perhaps Johnson's friendship and working relationship with Hines, and the fact that Gerald's world headquarters just happened to be in Houston, helped to influence the way both approached the Houston portfolio. I would think that Gerald would want to go that extra mile to do great things in his hometown. And perhaps Hines approach to development inspired Philip to push things a little farther. He definitely was Gerald Hines main guy for a number of years and Houston was the recipient of quite a few of his most successful projects. The list of projects he designed for Houston is quite long. I guess his design for the Fluor campus in Sugarland was one of his last, and certainly the most distant to downtown. Together they helped shape Uptown, and remade the Houston skyline. 

• Like 2