Houston

This is an article about Houston from yahoo travel. I take it the writer is not fond of Houston. Sure he states some facts about the city, but his adjectives used in describing Houston leave much to be desired. Agree? Disagree?

Why is the humidity in Houston such a deterrant. In my travels, I've been to places that are just as humid, and in some cases, even more so, but the issue of humidity never seems to be an issue. Any thoughts?

the article:

HOUSTON is an ungainly beast of a city, confused by overdevelopment during the oil boom and then traumatized by the sudden slump of the early 1980s. It's a suffocating place, choking with traffic and high on humidity, yet for all this, its sheer energy, its relentless Texan pride, and above all its refusal to take itself totally seriously, give it a perverse appeal, while its well-endowed museums and rich nightlife mean there is always something to do. That Howard Hughes came from Houston makes absolute sense; eccentric, domineering and sordid, the millionaire typified all that makes the city intriguing.

There is no good reason why Houston exists at all; it was founded on a muddy mire in 1837 by two brothers from New York who hoped it would become the capital of the new Republic of Texas. For all their wild claims about its potential as a port, and its (imaginary) urban attractions, the more promising site of Austin was made capital in 1839. However, by then Houston had somehow established itself as a commercial center. Oil

Good lord, to me that reads like a over the top poorly written article that might have been written by a freshman in college trying to impress some bosses.

The same argument (using various situations) can be made about Washington DC, New York City, New Orleans and Miami!

When those cities were first established they were nightmares of an environment. (DC was considered a Hardship post at one point because of the humidity)

Ricco

The ninny who wrote this piece (of ****) must have attended the same Leisure Learning class as the Bubble Girl.

He(?) also might want to do a little research before attempting to write about a city with which he's obviously unfamiliar. The Capital of the Republic of Texas was in Houston, however briefly, on the site currently occupied by the Rice Lofts.