Murder Rate Up 70% Since November.

TJones

In Houston, it's 70% since November I saw an article yesterday that said Houston's murder rate was up 70% since November,what are you people's thoughts on how to handle this situation. More police ? Push the Gov. to move faster on N.O. ? Tell F.E.M.A. to get in gear ?

Edited by TJones

this article says 23%:

An upward swing in the city's homicide rate — up by nearly a quarter from last year — isn't the only thing concerning Houston police. Officers say they are seeing more stranger-on-stranger crime, a resurgence of gang activity and more violence around apartment complexes, especially those swelled with an influx of Katrina evacuees.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/3541466.html

Edited by sevfiv

It's illegals from south of the border killing each other in Southwest Houston.

The rules of the old country still apply.

Mayor White was on patrols Monday night. They are talking about increased patrols and holding apartment complexes accountable.

Until these illeagls make an effort to assimilate, looks for the killing to contine.

El Loco Cantina is a dangerous place.

Only 8 of the murders involved NO residents as either killer or victim, so you can't blame them for all of the increase. It is interesting that overall crime is down, while murder is up. There are probably many reasons for the increase, but since a large percentage of the murders are occurring in apartment complexes, especially on the SW side, that is an obvious place to start.

I believe we have a serious police coverage problem on our hands that the pols don't want to discuss openly for obvious reasons. The signs are all over however. Mind you, I live in a pretty crime-free area, but I see far less patrol cars cruising the neighborhood than I used to see a few years ago. I am seeing a huge uptick in the amount of graffitti around my area and the city in general; I am shocked at all the tagging when I drive through Midtown and Montrose these days. Last night I drove up to the Flying Saucer Pie company to pick up some desserts, and as I drove down crosstimbers I saw no less than three drug deals happening and saw others just hanging in the shadows along the street corners. I realize it's not the best part of town, but as recently as last year they would have been far less conspicuous.

And now I see that statistics have caught up to my gut feelings. This is a problem you can throw money at and get immediate results, I think it's high time Houston put more police on the street. By that I mean more bodies, not more overtime.

Edited by HeightsGuy

In order to get more police, you'd have to find a pool of willing, morally stable men and women who are willing to accept the job that is likely to pay less than a lot of other, less stressful jobs.

Like teachers, the pay for officers is such that those who would potentially be the best, most reliable officers are opting to go another way or to other departments (Sugar Land, League City, etc) that offer better pay and better working conditions.

I think I read an article in which Chief Hurtt said that as many as 200 police officers have left or will be leaving HPD in 2005 and that overwhelming majority of those vacancies won't ever be filled, particularly with the current operating budget.

In order to get more police, you'd have to find a pool of willing, morally stable men and women who are willing to accept the job that is likely to pay less than a lot of other, less stressful jobs.

Like teachers, the pay for officers is such that those who would potentially be the best, most reliable officers are opting to go another way or to other departments (Sugar Land, League City, etc) that offer better pay and better working conditions.

I think I read an article in which Chief Hurtt said that as many as 200 police officers have left or will be leaving HPD in 2005 and that overwhelming majority of those vacancies won't ever be filled, particularly with the current operating budget.

Didn't Mayor Brown give HPD something close to a 51% pay-raise back in 01 or 02?