Ugly Brick & New Roof Now With Pix Of The Brix

jm1fd

The brick on my house is kinda ugly. It is varied in color from dark brown to a yellow/tan color. The house needs a new roof, and I'm trying to figure out what color roof will help make it look less ugly. I've played with all the online visualization things I can find, but none have brick that matches my house. I'm thikin its time to call in a designer/architect. Anybody know of any other online visualization tools? Anybody know a good exterior designer?

The brick on my house is kinda ugly. It is varied in color from dark brown to a yellow/tan color. The house needs a new roof, and I'm trying to figure out what color roof will help make it look less ugly. I've played with all the online visualization things I can find, but none have brick that matches my house. I'm thikin its time to call in a designer/architect. Anybody know of any other online visualization tools? Anybody know a good exterior designer?

Have you ever considered painting your brick? I know it might sound crazy but it can look really good if done correctly. And mabe have the entier front of your house upgraded.

Have you ever considered painting your brick? I know it might sound crazy but it can look really good if done correctly. And mabe have the entier front of your house upgraded.

Painting brick, if done properly, can update a dated home. The problems are (1) you have turned something no maintenance (brick) into a maintenance chore, and (2) it is a pain in the *** to paint exterior brick properly. My first house in Westbury was an orangy-red brick and I researched painting the brick.

Why don't you post a pic of part of the house and roof here for ideas? Also, there is That Home Site! forum where this is a common question.

Painting brick, if done properly, can update a dated home. The problems are (1) you have turned something no maintenance (brick) into a maintenance chore, and (2) it is a pain in the *** to paint exterior brick properly. My first house in Westbury was an orangy-red brick and I researched painting the brick.

Why don't you post a pic of part of the house and roof here for ideas? Also, there is That Home Site! forum where this is a common question.

Yep...I've thought about painting the brick, but like you said....maintenance!

I looked at THS to try to find an appropriate sub-forum, but I didn't really see anything that fit....

I'll post a pic here in a few minutes when my digital cam batteries finish charging.

Yep...I've thought about painting the brick, but like you said....maintenance!

I looked at THS to try to find an appropriate sub-forum, but I didn't really see anything that fit....

I'll post a pic here in a few minutes when my digital cam batteries finish charging.

Suggestions:

Go with a charcoal (almost black) roof shingle, and paint the wood trim a complementary cool color from a pale silver-blue or gray-green family. Then use a sharp accent color, like a coral red, for the front door. You may have to tone this color down a little (up to 33% diluted) to get the look right - just be sure the paint store won't make you eat it on a custom mix if you don't like it.

Your brick is a very warm color, and contrasting it with a cooler paint color will help subdue it and will also draw the eye away from it.

If you decide to paint the brick, be sure it's what you want - choices to properly remove the paint later without damaging the bricks are slim (think airplane fuselage paint stripper and a ton of time).

What kind of budget are we dealing with. A nice architectural shingle will make a ton of difference on the roof. The old school three across the board look just doesn't cut it anymore. I wouldn't go for a colored shingle either, those are hideous. Now, if you really want to update the outside, and you have the budget, look into putting stucco over that brick.

A good pressure washing and a slight change in a paint color might do some good and is very economical, only about $300 for the washing, and $50 for paint.

Go with a charcoal (almost black) roof shingle, and paint the wood trim a complementary cool color from a pale silver-blue or gray-green family. Then use a sharp accent color, like a coral red, for the front door. You may have to tone this color down a little (up to 33% diluted) to get the look right - just be sure the paint store won't make you eat it on a custom mix if you don't like it.

Your brick is a very warm color, and contrasting it with a cooler paint color will help subdue it and will also draw the eye away from it.

If you decide to paint the brick, be sure it's what you want - choices to properly remove the paint later without damaging the bricks are slim (think airplane fuselage paint stripper and a ton of time).

Don't worry. Painting the brick is out of the question.

On one of the roof color selectors I came up with a combo similar to what you're talking about....black roof with a blue/grey color.

I'll be sure to get a sample at the paint store, and smear it on the house and live with it for a week or two before I buy.

What kind of budget are we dealing with. A nice architectural shingle will make a ton of difference on the roof. The old school three across the board look just doesn't cut it anymore. I wouldn't go for a colored shingle either, those are hideous. Now, if you really want to update the outside, and you have the budget, look into putting stucco over that brick.

A good pressure washing and a slight change in a paint color might do some good and is very economical, only about $300 for the washing, and $50 for paint.

The budget could be rather large ($10k) if I could be guaranteed that the house would look like a million bux when we're done. Of course I'd rather just spend as little as possible and choose my materials and colors carefully for the most impact. I figure I can get out for $3.5k on a new roof and paint. The roofing bids have started coming in around $2.5-3k for a good 30 yr middle of the road laminated architectural shingle, and I figure on no more than about $500 in materials for me to schlep paint on it.

BTW, does 2.5-3k sound high to reroof an 800sqft 2/1/1 ranch with a flat-ish roof??

Sherwin Williams has some nice cards with differnt paint and trim configurations.

It's worth a look.

Thanks. I forgot about their cards....I poured over some of their cards only about 4 months ago when I painted the interior!!

$2.5 sounds like a fair bid, since the house is smallish, maybe you should look into the stucco, I'm telling you it would look awesome, but I don't know what type of neighborhood. I have a good crew, they ar ein Louisiana right now, should be back for the holiday. If you like I can get you in touch, he may be able to get a better bid on the roofing.

Archived