Houston's Current Population

I was watching on the news this morning and saw that city council is looking to add one maybe two more city council seats. From what I understand, each city council seat represents roughly 150,000 people. By adding two seats, they are estimating that the current population is 300,000 more than the estimate before Katrina. I would guestimate 2,300,000.

Does anyone have any data on the population shift since Katrina hit?

The two council seats are not in relation to how many people are actually here, other than the redistricting agreement that says the city will add a council seat when the population hits 2.1 million. Adding two seats instead of one may just be to keep voting even, or to keep from having to add another seat too soon.

The July 1, 2004 US Census estimate is 2,012,000. The City of Houston Planning Dept. estimated population on Jan. 1, 2005 at 2,069,000. Estimates of Katrina population have consistently been 100,000 to 150,000. If these people stay, the Houston population may be over 2,200,000, triggering the agreement. Houston also led the state in adding jobs in 2005, so that could have pumped up population as well.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/kho...l.27e41451.html

I was watching on the news this morning and saw that city council is looking to add one maybe two more city council seats. From what I understand, each city council seat represents roughly 150,000 people. By adding two seats, they are estimating that the current population is 300,000 more than the estimate before Katrina. I would guestimate 2,300,000.

Does anyone have any data on the population shift since Katrina hit?

I have no clue. :rolleyes: but i know some of the NO people moved in other cities in Texas besides Houston and other states that I know of Ill say that maybe there's only at least 60,000 to 70,000 of NO people live in Houston 20 to 30,000 in Dallas-Ft Worth area and over about half of the rest in other parts of the U.S. :ph34r: .

Quite a bit of cities has increased their area in population because of the Katrina that happened in New Orleans many most of New Orleans moved futher up to live in northern cities to be away from the disaters in the Gulf. Like when Rita was closly to harm Houston in that time.

I have no clue. :rolleyes: but i know some of the NO people moved in other cities in Texas besides Houston and other states that I know of Ill say that maybe there's only at least 60,000 to 70,000 of NO people live in Houston 20 to 30,000 in Dallas-Ft Worth area and over about half of the rest in other parts of the U.S. :ph34r: .

Quite a bit of cities has increased their area in population because of the Katrina that happened in New Orleans many most of New Orleans moved futher up to live in northern cities to be away from the disaters in the Gulf. Like when Rita was closly to harm Houston in that time.

and thank you for sharing your cluelessness ;-)

This would be an interesting post....if it weren't so WRONG.

"Despite the initial alarm over a massive migration that would irreversibly scatter the city's population across the 50 states, a small percentage has landed more than a day's drive -- about 300 miles -- from New Orleans. Fifty-nine percent found new housing without leaving the storm-damaged area.

These patterns emerged from a Times analysis of about 325,000 address changes from Aug. 29 -- the day Katrina hit -- through mid-October, representing about a quarter of the 1.5 million households in the hurricane-damaged region no longer receiving postal delivery. For privacy reasons, the US Postal Service excluded destinations where fewer than 25 families relocated -- about 30,000 households."

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles...most_stay_near/

Emporis.com apposes to know about populations all over the world

have or could anybody can contact with them to see if they can make any changes on populations now that New Orleans is screwed on residents that are missing and that Houston could have its new number of a residental above 2,012K

Emporis.com apposes to know about populations all over the world

have or could anybody can contact with them to see if they can make any changes on populations now that New Orleans is screwed on residents that are missing and that Houston could have its new number of a residental above 2,012K

HOLY GRAMMATICAL ERRORS BATMAN!