Cuba Banned From World Baseball Classic

RedScare

One sure way to improve your team's chances in a baseball tournament is to make sure the best team doesn't show up.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10486917/

Even though Cuba was allowed to bring a soccer team to the US last year, and allowed to bring a squad for the Atlanta Olympics in 1996, the baseball team has been forbidden to enter the country.

"U.S. bids to host future Olympic Games will be damaged by the Bush administration

That's a pretty jacked up story! Not sure what Cuban baseball ever did to endanger the Bush administration. I wanted to see Cuba compete too. I wonder if there will be an American baseball boycott because of the administration.

I must say that of ALL the things that have been done by the Bush administration good and bad, this has to be by far the most insensitive, cold-hearted, unAmerican act I could ever imagine. I can't believe any president or government could ever allow themselves to look as foolish as they are over a tournament of baseball (a sport we supposedly invented) <_<

I bet you the next World Baseball Classic will be held in Havana :ph34r:

Well of course Bush is a baseball fan. One of his biggest successes in business came by way of screwing the DWF taxpayers and getting a free stadium for the Rangers and increasing the worth of the shares that he owned. That also pretty much started the "give me a free stadium and subsidize a bunch of millionaires" nonsense that has spread to almost every other major league city. Yep. Bush is a big baseball fan.

Red, you have to look at it this way, what is the likelyhood that half the Cuban Players would defect ? That is probably what the problem is. Major League Baseball has been trying to court cuban players for years, I think there are bigger things afoot than just the Mean ol' Bushman not letting the Cubans come to play. Think about it.

I'm sure that doing coke doesn't rank very high in my book as GOOD things. :D West, would you blame Bush if my preminition came true and Bush sent them back ?

Sent who back? The baseball players? Yeah I would blame him for that. Wouldn't seem to be the smart thing to do.

Way to go Bush Administration!

I'm not sure Bush gets the blame here. The Cuba situation has been in place for decades. In fact, the Bush administration has been noted for opening up ties with Cuba in recent years, much to the chagrin of immigrant voters in South Florida. Even asking for something like this would have been unthinkable in the 60's, 70's, or 80's.

I can see letting a Cuban soccer team in for the Atlanta Olympics because it's a high-profile international event that only happens every four years, and the Cuban government doesn't make any money off of it. I've never heard of this World Baseball Classic before. Is it a big deal?

As for sending defecting players back, they can't. The way the law is written, as long as they're on dry land they get to stay. That's why the Coast Guard tries to hard to grab them when they're still in the water.

Sent who back? The baseball players? Yeah I would blame him for that. Wouldn't seem to be the smart thing to do.

Why would it NOT be the smart thing to do. Wouldn't their families miss them terribly ?

Editor, I may have to disagree, if they are sent over by their own government, that is a big difference from fleeing for political asylum.

I am gonna have to consult Red, I love the free lawyering, he is sooooo damn good at it. :D

Edited by TJones

• 1 month later...