Liberty Kitchen - San Felipe

Caption Crawfish -Silber

Snap Kitchen - S. Rice Blvd

Snap Kitchen - San Felipe

Smashburger - Main St.

Inferno Pizza - Westcreek

East Hampton Sandwiches - River Oaks District

More to come soon...

ugh I loved east hampton. why didn't this work here? It was near SMU and i frequently enjoyed.

8 minutes ago, Avossos said:

ugh I loved east hampton. why didn't this work here? It was near SMU and i frequently enjoyed.

It didn't work in Montrose either and I've almost never seen anybody at the Understory location.  

3 minutes ago, kbates2 said:

It didn't work in Montrose either and I've almost never seen anybody at the Understory location.  

at lunch it was popping. went there a couple times a month pre-covid.

25 minutes ago, Avossos said:

I also liked East Hampton, the Lobster Rolls were great and they had a good selection of weekend breakfast/brunch options as well. I remember reading some Yelp and Google Reviews about it when I noticed there was a note at their ROD location saying they failed to pay rent back in May. Most of the reviews weren't overly positive and a lot talked about how they felt it was overpriced. I am sad it didn't work out. 

https://houston.eater.com/2020/7/20/21331609/blackbird-izakaya-closed-houston-heights-permanently

Popular Heights Japanese Eatery Blackbird Izakaya Shutters Permanently

Chef-owner Billy Kin confirmed the restaurant’s departure on Monday 

by Amy McCarthy  Jul 20, 2020, 2:08pm CD

blackbird_izakaya_1.0.jpg A stunning plate from Blackbird Izakaya  Blackbird Izakaya/Yelp

After nearly two years of serving creative Japanese dishes, Blackbird Izakaya has officially closed its doors.

Chef-owner Billy Kim confirmed to Eater on Monday that the restaurant was permanently closed after announcing its departure in a lengthy video montage posted to YouTube on Monday. The video, which is packed with tons of photos from happier times, inspired several comments from devastated diners who were sad to lose one of the city’s most innovative Japanese restaurants.

Kim says that the restaurant pivoted to takeout once the COVID-19 pandemic hit, but that this type of dining establishment just isn’t suited to long-term survival with a takeout-focused model. “A lot of my regular business before COVID was really people coming in her to sit at our bar top in front of the open kitchen,” Kim says. “A lot of the menu items that we are known for don’t really translate to carry-out.” 

As previously reported, Kim opened Blackbird Izakaya in 2018 in the space at 1221 West 11th Street after closing its predecessor, Republic Diner and Noodle Bar. Prior to the coronavirus pandemic, it was a popular destination for dinner and drinks, serving everything from Japanese curry katsu to super-fresh sushi and meats grilled over binchotan charcoal. 

Still, Kim plans to maintain the lease on Blackbird Izakaya’s space and has some optimism for the future. “We will see what happens in the future,” he says. “I didn’t know this COVID thing would drag on this long.” 

Archived