HEB Fry Rd. And Grand Pkwy.

bcnet

Looks like they finally broke ground on the new HEB Grocery store on the SW corner of Fry and Grand Parkway across the street from Home Depot. The sign out front says Spring 2006. I can't wait until this store opens so I can switch from the Super Target on Westeimer Parkway. It is close to the house but their selection on groceries is pretty bad IMO.

I'm wondering if this store will be an "HEB Plus" which were recently opened in San Antonio? These stores incorporate some bed & bath, outdoor cooking & entertainment products into the store.

Looks like they finally broke ground on the new HEB Grocery store on the SW corner of Fry and Grand Parkway across the street from Home Depot. The sign out front says Spring 2006. I can't wait until this store opens so I can switch from the Super Target on Westeimer Parkway. It is close to the house but their selection on groceries is pretty bad IMO.

I'm wondering if this store will be an "HEB Plus" which were recently opened in San Antonio? These stores incorporate some bed & bath, outdoor cooking & entertainment products into the store.

You do realize that you could drive about 3 more minutes and go to the HEB on Mason............right ? :D

You do realize that you could drive about 3 more minutes and go to the HEB on Mason............right ? :D

Yea, but we are lazy! I actually do go over to the Mason HEB when we are going for a larger load of groceries, especially for meat and produce. SuperTarget is usually just a gallon of milk, bread, or cereal and any household good we need. My experience with the meat at SuperTarget has not been good.

The new HEB will make is nice for the ready to eat meals like the roasted chickens near the meat counter. My wife and I both work and sometime if we are running a little late it is nice to pick up a quick hot meal right on the way home that is not Chick-fil-a or Sonic.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure where FalconRanch got their information from, but I live in Seven Meadows so I called and spoke with HEB yesterday because I too was wondering if this store is going to be a HEB Plus or an HEB Central Market.

The representative at HEB told me that it's going to be what she referred to as a Big HEB. It's not a Plus or Central Market. She said it's bigger than the normal HEB's but it's smaller than a Plus and/or Central Market. So I figure it's going to be the same size as the one on Mason and the one on North Fry. She also told me that; it's due to open in August

Yes, it would not really make sense for them to put a Plus store when the big Mason Road store is so close. Now, what WOULD make sense is for them to put one in the Town & Country/Mem City area! Like right across the frickin' street from me, that would be nice ;)

Yes, it would not really make sense for them to put a Plus store when the big Mason Road store is so close. Now, what WOULD make sense is for them to put one in the Town & Country/Mem City area! Like right across the frickin' street from me, that would be nice ;)

They are putting in an HEB off of Bunker Hill Rd and I-10. Right across from Costco.

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering at 1st, but it looks like they will have a gas station at this location. This will be very convienent for Seven Meadows, Grand Lakes, and southern Cinco residents. Plus it gives the Chevron at Cinco Ranch @ Hwy 99 a little competition.

Anyone know about the lot next to the HEB to the west? There is a pretty good spot for some additional retail in the center.

I was wondering at 1st, but it looks like they will have a gas station at this location. This will be very convienent for Seven Meadows, Grand Lakes, and southern Cinco residents. Plus it gives the Chevron at Cinco Ranch @ Hwy 99 a little competition.

Anyone know about the lot next to the HEB to the west? There is a pretty good spot for some additional retail in the center.

I called HEB a few weeks ago and talked to them. At that time the ground had not been broken near what looks like the gas station. HEB told me that they had not made a decision one way or the other. However, I posted the same information on the local Seven Meadows Community website and one of the other residents actually went and talked to the construction super and he told him that they are planning on building one and even showed it to him on the site's blue prints. So based on that and the broken ground, it looks like we'll get the much needed "near" gas station we all wanted. Now we just need a dough nut shop next to the Smootie Factory and we'd be all set;) but more than likely, we'll either end up with another bank or nail salon there since we don't have too many of those yet around here;)

In Northwest Texas, there's a chain of Supermarkets called United (which could be likened to what Randall's was when it was owned by the Onsteads mixed with HEB)...they have an upscale 'Central Market' style concept called 'Market Street' (made famous by the infamous Bobby Knight Salad Bar incident at the Lubbock flagship store). I'd love to see United enter the Houston market as I feel the big Texas-based grocers do hell of a lot better job serving the local community than the Krogers and Safeways of the world. United has now entered the D/FW market and opened several 'Market Street' stores there.

store_market_street_photo.gif

http://www.unitedtexas.com/our_stores/vide...eyvilleTour.wmv

I called HEB a few weeks ago and talked to them. At that time the ground had not been broken near what looks like the gas station. HEB told me that they had not made a decision one way or the other. However, I posted the same information on the local Seven Meadows Community website and one of the other residents actually went and talked to the construction super and he told him that they are planning on building one and even showed it to him on the site's blue prints. So based on that and the broken ground, it looks like we'll get the much needed "near" gas station we all wanted. Now we just need a dough nut shop next to the Smootie Factory and we'd be all set;) but more than likely, we'll either end up with another bank or nail salon there since we don't have too many of those yet around here;)

good confirmation on the gas station - thanks. I agree, a good doughnut shop would be great. I'm not really a smoothie or coffee shop guy which we have, but would love a local place to buy fresh donuts or koloches. BTW, if you haven't tried it, Candalaries Pizza in the strip center in front of Seven Meadows is very good.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure where FalconRanch got their information from, but I live in Seven Meadows so I called and spoke with HEB yesterday because I too was wondering if this store is going to be a HEB Plus or an HEB Central Market.

The representative at HEB told me that it's going to be what she referred to as a Big HEB. It's not a Plus or Central Market. She said it's bigger than the normal HEB's but it's smaller than a Plus and/or Central Market. So I figure it's going to be the same size as the one on Mason and the one on North Fry. She also told me that; it's due to open in August

Well as i had reported earlier, the new HEB going up indeed will be an HEB Plus. I was told that by managment way back in January, but i recently visited the store on Mason Rd. and indeed they said it will be an HEB Plus.

Well as i had reported earlier, the new HEB going up indeed will be an HEB Plus. I was told that by managment way back in January, but i recently visited the store on Mason Rd. and indeed they said it will be an HEB Plus.

Sorry FalconRanch. I didn't mean it to sound like you didn't know what you were talking about. I guess I shouldn't really trust HEB Customer Service anyway. Since they are the ones that told me that a decision as to if there was going to be a gas station at this HEB had yet to be made an then that moring when I left to go to work, I drive by and see they have broken ground on the gas station. Your source is probably a lot more "in the know" than mine;) I'm glad it's going to be a plus and can't wait for it to open.

• 2 weeks later...
:D Looks like they will not put the "PLUS" sign in front of the new HEB. However this store will offer what an HEB PLus would offer like entertainment, cookware, coffee shop, ect. This store will be the largest in Houston and is set to open August 2, 2006.

:D Looks like they will not put the "PLUS" sign in front of the new HEB. However this store will offer what an HEB PLus would offer like entertainment, cookware, coffee shop, ect. This store will be the largest in Houston and is set to open August 2, 2006.

Larger than the Central Market down on Kirby and Westheimer?

Well its like this taking the Heb On Mason, Splitting it in half, then add the Heb on Mason and The Other Half Together. ABout 145,000 Sq. Ft.

Both Central Market and the HEB on Mason are right near 75,000 sq ft. This will be a pretty massive store.

• 2 weeks later...

central market on westheimer is more like 90,000 sq ft.

heb has no plans to build more central markets in houston, dfw is slated to get a new one before houston is.

BUT the old heb pantry foods on kempwood and cambell is currently being renovated into a commissary for central market which will be a 35,000 sq. ft. kitchen/bakery and all the central market food will be cooked there and shipped out to the new big HEB's which are the NEW BUILDS, not the albertsons that got made over or the existing midsize heb's. kempwood & cambell is walking distance from tons of cheap labor.

heb on i-10 & bunker hill is news to me, that lot is gigantic though. but there could be truth to it, it would be a good spot especially with randalls closing down.

i also heard rumors of an heb where luby's used to be on san felipe and westpark directly across from kroger.

central market on westheimer is more like 90,000 sq ft.

heb has no plans to build more central markets in houston, dfw is slated to get a new one before houston is.

BUT the old heb pantry foods on kempwood and cambell is currently being renovated into a commissary for central market which will be a 35,000 sq. ft. kitchen/bakery and all the central market food will be cooked there and shipped out to the new big HEB's which are the NEW BUILDS, not the albertsons that got made over or the existing midsize heb's. kempwood & cambell is walking distance from tons of cheap labor.

heb on i-10 & bunker hill is news to me, that lot is gigantic though. but there could be truth to it, it would be a good spot especially with randalls closing down.

i also heard rumors of an heb where luby's used to be on san felipe and westpark directly across from kroger.

I just checked some plans here in the office, central market seems bigger than it is but it is only 72,850 sf. definately not one of the largest we were building when we were doing the heb boom 5 to 10 years ago.

the one at westheimer/kirkwood is pretty big too i think it's around 83,000 sf.

• 2 weeks later...

News to me too. The neighborhood over there (behind Costco etc.) was protesting some apartments to be built. I assumed it was on that lot. But now I'm not so sure. Guess we'll just have to wait and watch. HEB would be really nice--hopefully better than the one on Kempwood. Also, Bunker Hill will be widened to accomodate traffic. (I think it was Parrothead who brought up the traffic earlier.)

• 4 weeks later...

there is a central market HEB going up off 249 near the new kickerillo development (Vintage) and they are planning on turning the old HEB pantry on dairy ashford and memorial into something larger (taking over the Eckerds or now CVS next door). Hopefully it will become a central market as well because of the area it caters to but likely not.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry FalconRanch. I didn't mean it to sound like you didn't know what you were talking about. I guess I shouldn't really trust HEB Customer Service anyway. Since they are the ones that told me that a decision as to if there was going to be a gas station at this HEB had yet to be made an then that moring when I left to go to work, I drive by and see they have broken ground on the gas station. Your source is probably a lot more "in the know" than mine;) I'm glad it's going to be a plus and can't wait for it to open.

Does anyone know anything about "The Villigio" project going up at Peak and Westheimer Parkway?

Does anyone know anything about "The Villigio" project going up at Peak and Westheimer Parkway?

I emailed the developer about the Villagio. He said they are planning an upscale luxury outdoor environment shopping center with possible restaurants such as Perry

Here is a little more info from the Katy Sun:

When Phil Bittle, general manager of the new HEB Plus on Grand Parkway, met with the staff at Seven Lakes High School, he was surprised by their biggest question.

"They asked, 'Will it have a gas station?'" Bittle recalled with a laugh.

Bittle assured them they'd get fuel ... and much more.

The largest HEB store in the Houston area will feature more than 20 departments, providing a one-stop shopping experience unique to the area.

The healthy living department will offer fresh-ground coffee, bulk foods, a large assortment of vitamins and even a milling station, where customers can mill a variety of grains.

Bittle predicted that this unique department will be one of the store's biggest draws, pulling in people from all over West Houston.

The entertainment department will carry more than $1 million in merchandise, including DVDs, CDs, video games and one-time deals on electronics.

The store will also sell outdoor grills and automobile accessories. A garden center will open in spring 2007.

"We're working with Texas growers on the garden center," Bittle said. "It will feature plants that do well in our climate."

Although it sounds like HEB is getting away from its roots, Bittle said the main focus is still on groceries.

HEB Plus will carry more than 2,000 wine labels, expanded seafood and meat markets, a cheese center and cooking displays where customers can watch HEB employees prepare various dishes.

Perhaps the most exciting department will be Caf

Archived