Meals Ready To Eat

Ashikaga

During Hurricane Rita, I received a more than abundant supply of Meals Ready to Eat. Did any of you out there? It's a shame that I had to throw away a lot of the stuff in them: cookies, canned fruit, canned juice and soda, because I'm diabetic. I'm just about burned out on tuna salad, ravoli, lasagna, and Pringles. Did any of you experience any of this?

The MREs didn't have any canned octopus, huh? ;)

No octopus or squid. I actually gave the cookies to my local public library to give to the children when they come for Wednesday storytelling.

(in my best Homer Simpson voice)..........

Mmmmmmmmm............Octopus..............mmmmmmmmM ! ! !

Then he said: "DOH"!!!

Why didn't you give your leftover MREs to someone else?

I gave the cookies and the canned fruit to the kids at the library storytime (I can't eat those things because I'm diabetic). I kept the cans of lasagna and tuna salad. I ate some of the former this morning, and I'll eat some of the latter this evening.

NO Thanks. I have had my fair share. The first few times I had them they were okay. Now, I would rather go hungry or find something else to munch on (protein bar).

Yeah we still swap out the few good things in them, but we try to stay away from the main course(smell like cat food :wacko: ). Although in some rare cases we do get sooooo hungry that we have no choice but to eat them.......we end up regretting it later.

Good thing that at least once a year or so they come out with something new and they are always trying to improve on them.

As for the MREs discribed with the soda and canned fruits, those are the civilian versions. We know them as "Jimmy deans" because sometimes they have jimmy dean sandwiches in them. Those are okay, get tired of those after a while though.

It seems as if there were a couple of different types of MREs. My parents, who live in an area devestated by Rita, were recipients of several boxes of MREs. There are some that had the canned stuff that Ashikaga mentioned. Mom pulled out the few things they wanted from those, like the Pringles, and the rest, like the Chef Boyardee crap, got donated to the local food pantry. Then there were the "good" MREs, which were like casseroles. Supposedly these weren't too bad (I'm sure they would get old fast if you had to eat them every day) and they kept those for future emergency use. My parents were fortunate to never lose water and to have plenty of food in house, so they never needed the MREs to have something to eat after the storm. They did have to drink bottled water for a couple of weeks (the city water was ok for bathing but not drinking) and so they got all the water they could. They still have a ton of it left -- I took a case back to Houston with me last weekend after I was up at their place.

It seems as if there were a couple of different types of MREs. My parents, who live in an area devestated by Rita, were recipients of several boxes of MREs. There are some that had the canned stuff that Ashikaga mentioned. Mom pulled out the few things they wanted from those, like the Pringles, and the rest, like the Chef Boyardee crap, got donated to the local food pantry. Then there were the "good" MREs, which were like casseroles. Supposedly these weren't too bad (I'm sure they would get old fast if you had to eat them every day) and they kept those for future emergency use. My parents were fortunate to never lose water and to have plenty of food in house, so they never needed the MREs to have something to eat after the storm. They did have to drink bottled water for a couple of weeks (the city water was ok for bathing but not drinking) and so they got all the water they could. They still have a ton of it left -- I took a case back to Houston with me last weekend after I was up at their place.

I live in Bridge City, which was one of the places devastated by Rita. What city do your parents live in?

MREs are apparently big business, they don't make em just for the military, they have them for civilian availabilty also, for all of those with their own bomb shelters. Companies, like Pillsbury and Betty Crocker, are continuously trying to improve on freeze dried goods.

MREs are apparently big business, they don't make em just for the military, they have them for civilian availabilty also, for all of those with their own bomb shelters. Companies, like Pillsbury and Betty Crocker, are continuously trying to improve on freeze dried goods.

Once again, I ate some more lasagna and tuna salad. I've been using at least one can of each every day. If I don't get burned out of them, I should finish them all up by Christmas day.