I-10 Relocation Around Downtown

MiDTOWNeR

Someone mentioned on a thread that there was a possibilty that I-10 would be rerouted as it pases downtown I was curious if anyway could point me in the right direction to finding info about it.

thanks.

Yeah. This should have a little info on it. Check out the presentation packet (Pages 1-18, and like pages 19-36)

http://www.centralhouston.org/Home/FrameworkfortheFuture/

Not sure if it's suppose to go through or not. Supposedly the 1-10 reroute is going to be vital to revitalizing Buffalo Bayou, and at the same time somewhat expand downtown.

I don't understand this one... Is the plan is to move I-10 (slightly) further from Buffalo Bayou for the planned Bayou development project?

If that is not the case, why does I-10 need to be rerouted around downtown?!? Granted, improvements to I-10 could be made, but it already clearly diverts downtown Houston with its current path.

If any freeway needs to be diverted around downtown Houston, it is I-45. The current elevated roads cut off Buffalo Bayou Park and Midtown from downtown. I am not sure where that road should/could go instead, but it is THE Houston road that most likely should be relocated/redirected around downtown.

On the other (selfish) hand, I do love driving the I-45 elevated over Buffalo Bayou (west of downtown) and the Pierce Elevated, the skyline from these roads cannot be duplicated- it is awesome! I guess I would hate to see either portion rerouted. Maybe there is a compromise – reroute the freeways without eliminating the elevated views.

Or, perhaps we just need to accept the downtown Houston freeways as they are – crowded, but with some nice views!

I don't understand this one... Is the plan is to move I-10 (slightly) further from Buffalo Bayou for the planned Bayou development project?

If that is not the case, why does I-10 need to be rerouted around downtown?!? Granted, improvements to I-10 could be made, but it already clearly diverts downtown Houston with its current path.

If any freeway needs to be diverted around downtown Houston, it is I-45. The current elevated roads cut off Buffalo Bayou Park and Midtown from downtown. I am not sure where that road should/could go instead, but it is THE Houston road that most likely should be relocated/redirected around downtown.

On the other (selfish) hand, I do love driving the I-45 elevated over Buffalo Bayou (west of downtown) and the Pierce Elevated, the skyline from these roads cannot be duplicated- it is awesome! I guess I would hate to see either portion rerouted. Maybe there is a compromise – reroute the freeways without eliminating the elevated views.

Or, perhaps we just need to accept the downtown Houston freeways as they are – crowded, but with some nice views!

From what I understand, the reason why 1-10 may be rerouted is for the Buffalo Bayou Project. They are hoping to have Buffalo Bayou itself go through the "heart" of downtown to add development on both sides of it's banks. I hope this goes through, but I haven't heard of any projection dates for a possible reroute.

I don't think there are any proposals to reroute I-10. Both, the Buffalo Bayou Partnership and Central Houston, Inc. plans for 2025 (which may be the same plan) advocate rerouting I-45 slightly to the west and possibly tunneling it north of the bayou to enhance park space. They also recommend putting 45 and 59 in trenches to break down the walls around downtown. But, none of these plans involve rerouting I-10.

I think I saw a thread that mentioned I-10 also, but I believe it may have been an active imagination on the part of one of our posters. :P

2025? Good god. Will anything be done in time for us to enjoy at least a little of it? LOL :lol: Hell, I'll be in an old folks home by the time they get finished with rail!! Ah well. Guess my daughter will enjoy it at least!

The master plan is to be completed by 2025. Some of it is being done now, such as the bayou improvement in the theater district.

Besides, old folks home at 54? C'mon, parrothead, start exercising and eating better. ;)

Archived