Mid Century Bathrooms

jm1fd

Anybody know of any good books or other design resources on mid century bathrooms? I have a little 1955 mid century ranch whose time has come for a new bathroom. I want to do something more attractive than pink tile that doesn't go far enough up the walls, more upscale than the current finishes and fixtures, and I'd like stay true to the period as best I can.

Anybody know of any good books or other design resources on mid century bathrooms? I have a little 1955 mid century ranch whose time has come for a new bathroom. I want to do something more attractive than pink tile that doesn't go far enough up the walls, more upscale than the current finishes and fixtures, and I'd like stay true to the period as best I can.

Forgive the preservationist in me, but ..... you ought to keep that tile !! That color is a classic from the period and was actually very mainstream in the late 50's. There were much wilder colors (like chartruese or sunbeam yellow) in use then, and books you find are likely to show these. You can do a lot with the pink by using contrasting paint colors to tone it down (pale blue, gray, etc).

One good book of original interiors is something like '50's Interiors' published by Armstong Corporation - it shows a bunch of their ads from the time, and is a real eye-opener in terms of the trends back then.

But if you or someone else in your house is hellbent for a change to something less colorful, you could look for the type of white ceramic tile that has flecks of color in it - I've seen either gold or blue-gray flecks. It's available from Home Depot (special order). Or you could go with 'subway' tiles, which are rectangular, approx 3x6". They look especially cool in black, which, with coral paint accents and white fixtures and grout, make for a cool deco look. Mosaic tile is also an option, although it seems to be pretty expensive.

Anybody know of any good books or other design resources on mid century bathrooms?

i seem to remember someone here having a link to an east houston subdivision site that had awesome photos of mid-cen bathroons & kitchens. was it danax?

if not go to 1/4 price books and look at their "modern" decor books. all of my awesome mid-cen books came from there for less than $8.. they're on shepherd.

i seem to remember someone here having a link to an east houston subdivision site that had awesome photos of mid-cen bathroons & kitchens. was it danax?

if not go to 1/4 price books and look at their "modern" decor books. all of my awesome mid-cen books came from there for less than $8.. they're on shepherd.

Where on Shepherd? I'm tired of shelling out $45 for new ones, too ...

if you're heading north on shepherd (where it is still one-way) it is in the strip center that sits between the split - on the left side of the road. kind of across and before rockin' robin / blockbuster...

(3820 S Shepherd Dr.)

Forgive the preservationist in me, but ..... you ought to keep that tile !! That color is a classic from the period and was actually very mainstream in the late 50's.

I know, and I would keep it if it was still in good condition, but the pink tiles on the floor are scratched all to hell so they have little tiny lines of dirt in them, the grout is nasty, and except for the tub/shower surround there's no tile up the walls. The tub/shower surround tile has several cracks in it, and doesn't go up high enough on the wall so the drywall is disentigrating from all the splashing.

Black subway sounds really cool...maybe with some pink accents....and I could keep the pink tub. I had been thinking about white subway, but that isn't exactly period correct.

I would suggest attending open houses in the Timbergrove area. Some of those have homes have great bathrooms.

no.... all the bathrooms in Timbergrove look practically the same... either mint green or pink or if you were lucky tan tile... 1/2 way up the walls and about 18" short of the cieling in the shower.... there is usually a little wall built up at the end of the job built vanity that is 3' tall... the sink is white porcelein undermount and rectangular in shape....

there is nothing cool about the designs of these bathrooms... they were tract homes from the late 50s-60s.... in 40 years do you think people should look at the designs of bathrooms being built in the cheap master communities out in the burbs?

save yourself the hassle... just get on the MLS and do a search for homes for sale in Timbergrove and look at the pictures online... if you want a cheaper solution, my neighbors had their bathroom refinished with that stuff that goes over the existing tile... they did it in white and it looks pretty good considering the cost...

... if you want a cheaper solution, my neighbors had their bathroom refinished with that stuff that goes over the existing tile... they did it in white and it looks pretty good considering the cost...

....and a collective *gasp* is heard from professional and amateur architects alike......

....and a collective *gasp* is heard from professional and amateur architects alike......

I've always been wary of that stuff, too. If you got a fungus problem, I'm not sure that covering it up is the right solution.

not the panels of stuff, but rather that coating... at any rate with a good scrubbing and bleaching before they spray? it on it should be safe..

not the panels of stuff, but rather that coating... at any rate with a good scrubbing and bleaching before they spray? it on it should be safe..

Again, a collective gasp. Resurfacing white over the original retro colored tile in these mid-century homes is nothing short of horrible! You take something that is in keeping with the home's character and a decent quality material, (the original ceramic tile), and turn it into junk with that spray on resurfacing mess that looks good for about a year maybe. FYI - that stuff turns yellow if anything with bleach gets near it, and it flakes like mad.

You took the words right out of my mouth..... B)

in 40 years do you think people should look at the designs of bathrooms being built in the cheap master communities out in the burbs?

You know, Eichler built cheap tract homes in master communities out in the burbs too.......

Again, a collective gasp. Resurfacing white over the original retro colored tile in these mid-century homes is nothing short of horrible! You take something that is in keeping with the home's character and a decent quality material, (the original ceramic tile), and turn it into junk with that spray on resurfacing mess that looks good for about a year maybe. FYI - that stuff turns yellow if anything with bleach gets near it, and it flakes like mad.

gasp all you want... 90% of the original bathrooms in Timbergrove look like crap... I know since I not only live in the neighborhood but also shop it to find homes to remodel... cheap, cheap, cheap... I only hope in 40 years that people aren't trying to copy the styles of KB Homes and Lennar and Perry etc..etc... that is what you get in Timbergrove... some houses were actually well designed, but most were tract homes..

as for the longevity of it... my neighbors had theirs done nearly 4 years ago... it still looks like brand new white ceramic tiles... so maintain whatever bias you want, it is a cost effective solution that does actually work...

You took the words right out of my mouth..... B)

You know, Eichler built cheap tract homes in master communities out in the burbs too.......

fine.. live in an Eichler and try to maintain it... no problem with good design... live in the Perry homes equivalent of the 50s-60s and try to maintain that look and I'd say you've lost your mind... too many people on this site equate old to quality and/or good design...

too many people on this site equate old to quality and/or good design...

yes, i agree, and i have been guilty of it too...

look at bellaire - alot of the homes built in the fifties (mainly inside-the-loop-bellaire) are tract homes that don't have a terrible amount of...charisma. many of them, however, have stood the test of time (well, 50 years or so) and are quite fine if maintained well.

the problem is the new wave of thirty and forty-somethings that equate new and big with quality. i can't tell you my amazement when i saw a builder that bought a lot for about 250k (land value ONLY for less than 8,000 sq ft) and built a "custom" home (custom? for whom?) selling at 1.3 million. and the home was built very very quickly, and has alot of the incongruencies that others on the board have pointed out (seams not matching, windows not installed properly, etc).

bleh

fine.. live in an Eichler and try to maintain it... no problem with good design... live in the Perry homes equivalent of the 50s-60s and try to maintain that look and I'd say you've lost your mind... too many people on this site equate old to quality and/or good design...

So, painting tile equates to quality and good design?

Although Vitrolite might not be exactly period correct, it could still look appropriate.

Unfortunately, it might be difficult to find someone who knows how to install it, let alone obtain it to begin with...wonder there's a modern equivalent - opaque spandel glass, perhaps?

as for the longevity of it... my neighbors had theirs done nearly 4 years ago... it still looks like brand new white ceramic tiles... so maintain whatever bias you want, it is a cost effective solution that does actually work...

Work to do what? If the bathroom looks cheap before, that isn't going to make it look more expensive.

I would use that money and put towards new tile if you didn't like the existing.

Archived