Areas To Live In...

tizka22

First let me say that this forum is great, specially for me since I am moving to Houston in a couple of months, and I wanted to ask a couple of things:

!. We plan to move and reside in a apartment for 4-6 months to get used to the city and places for a permanent home. I will work downtown (Pennzoil Place) and we like the Westheimer area but dont know anything about the schools in that or any other area. Any suggestions...

2. What areas do you guys/gals recommend to live in, I have heard great things of the Woodlands and developments near the lake, have seen that Richmon and Sugarland is nice and big and have also seen that Pearland is small but good. Any experience with commute between these areas and downtown? How about school districts?

3. What about parking downtown?

Well thanks in advance to all!

Edited by tizka22

Isn't your employer going to pay for (and provide) parking? If so (and if you are driving from home to work), I sure wouldn't want to live in the Woodlands, Sugarland, or anywhere else that far outside of the loop. The commute would be a nightmare. If I was working downtown (which I do), I wouldn't even think about living outside of the loop at all (which I don't).

I'm sure others will have much more useful information on where to live than I....but I would recommend that you least look into the Rice Military, Heights, Bellaire, West U. and the River Oaks areas.

Edited by uncertaintraveler

tizka, whatever you are looking for, Houston has it.

How old are your kids? How old are you? What are your hobbies? Your lifestyle? . . trendy clubbers . . . wine bar . . . all you can eat chinese buffet . . . waterfront living . . . highrise condos? Give us some specifics, and we can come up with recommendations.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding parking I dont know if they are going to pay or have some sort of arrangment, I am going to work for Gensler in Pennzoil Place and am very excited about it!

Budget for rent is between $800 and $1,000 a month for a three bedroom aparment or town home, looking for a good public elementary school.

In regards to lifestyle we love the marketplace store and rice epicurean store, love wine and good inexpensive food from all over the world. Love outdoor concerts, movies, LOVE IKEA, kids activities (parks, playgrounds, pools), love the Houston museum scene, love the area around De Menil Museum.

Any suggestions....

Edited by tizka22

sounds like montrose/heights type areas would fit your likes, but a three bedroom would possibly run more than your budget i'm afraid. the commute, however, wouldn't be as painful as outside those areas and beyond (outer loop, outer belt, etc).

Edited by sevfiv

Budget for rent is between $800 and $1,000 a month for a three bedroom aparment or town home, looking for a good public elementary school.

It will be hard to find something in that price range inside the loop. I'm sure there are some out there; however, your best bet would be in the burbs for a good elementary school and that price range.

Edited by ToolMan

Regarding parking I dont know if they are going to pay or have some sort of arrangment, I am going to work for Gensler in Pennzoil Place and am very excited about it!

In regards to lifestyle we love the marketplace store and rice epicurean store, love wine and good inexpensive food from all over the world. Love outdoor concerts, movies, LOVE IKEA, kids activities (parks, playgrounds, pools), love the Houston museum scene, love the area around De Menil Museum.

Any suggestions....

I think the buget has just been increased. I got a notice from my apartment management last Wednesday my rent was going up $500.00 dollars with a $100 maintence fee and a $4.99 charge for garbage.

I have talked to some of my friends and this seems to be happening in other complexes. When I called the management, they said, it was what the market would bear.... since Katrina the occupancy rates were so good they could get these prices. It is discusting how greed seems to lurk around every corner.

• 3 weeks later...

If you live inside the Beltway AND you can afford it, try an apartment zoned to any one of the following schools in Houston ISD (these are usually considered to be the best inner city schools):

* Condit, Horn, Kolter, Lovett, Red, River Oaks, Roberts, Twain, West University Elementary (EDIT: Also Briargrove, Herod, Oak Forest, Parker, and most likely St. George Place, to be completed in Fall 2006 but opening in 2007)

* Johnston, Lanier, or Pershing Middle

* Bellaire or Lamar High

Of course, visit the schools beforehand and check them out to make sure that you like them. Also HISD has an open enrollment policy that allows students to attend a school that they are not zoned to.

Or you can try to get an apartment in Spring Branch ISD, which has really good public schools.

(EDIT: Outside the Beltway: Ashford, Barbara Bush, Shadowbriar, and most likely Ray K. Daily Elementary (opening Dall 2006), West Briar Middle, Westside High)

Edited by VicMan

Oak Forest Elm is also an excellant Elemetary school. Just hope you can afford a private middle school when the time comes. Oak Forest is just a mile outside the Loop and about 10 miles to downtown. Rent is pretty affordable. I recommend it... :)

Edited by MarthaG

If you live inside the Beltway AND you can afford it, try an apartment zoned to any one of the following schools in Houston ISD (these are usually considered to be the best inner city schools):

* Condit, Horn, Kolter, Lovett, Red, River Oaks, Roberts, Twain, West University Elementary

* Johnston, Lanier, or Pershing Middle

* Bellaire or Lamar High

You forgot Westside High.

You forgot Westside High.

That's outside the Beltway. However, any area zoned to Lee High is eligible for Lamar or Westside.

West Briar Middle (also outside Beltway 8) and its feeder elementaries are considered to be good as well.

Lee itself is not popular, yet the ability to transfer to Lamar or Westside makes it okay to be zoned to Lee. Briargrove Elementary is generally considered to be good, yet HISD funding issues and issues related to security budgets and construction made KatieDidIt (a HAIF user) bolt for the Woodlands. I heard (from one of my teachers) HISD's funds are getting better as they reinstated some programs that were previously cut. Also I bet St. George Place ES will be considered to be a good school after it opens in Fall 2006.

Edited by VicMan