Does Houston Have Enough Universities/Colleges?

i do think we could use either another, or expand some programs at the ones we have...i go to school through UNT because there are no graduate programs for me in houston... :( luckily they saw a need here and they contract professors to teach in houston or hold classes online with local orientation sessions.

Edited by sevfiv

I think UHD should be left to steer its own course and expand on its own grounds. As far as not enough colleges, we have UH (includes the UH system), TSU, Rice University, Saint Thomas, UTMB Galveston, UT Houston Medical/Dental, Texas Womens U, Baylor College of Medicene, HBU, and of course University of Phoenix :P

While many of those above mentioned are medical schools they still, cover the schools/colleges catagory. Remember Dallas, Fort Worth dont have TAMU in their neck of the woods. Although hard to justify A&M as a Houston college, it could be said that its close enough to draw large numbers of Houstonians up there. I would rather have another private school than state school. Dont forget, TAMU Galveston, Prairie View A&M.

We also have a satelite branch of Tulane also.

Dallas nor Houston has a large university of sports fame as other cities, but we do have a our share of institutions of higher learning.

When I think of Dallas or Houston, I don't see a university. When I think of Baton Rouge, I think of LSU.

Much can also be said of Austin and UT - perhaps the largest metro area that still conjures up images of a university is Boston.

Most really big cities arent big college sports towns - they are focused on pro-teams as well. That is certainly the case right now in Houston, with the Astro's - who I cant even bear to watch tonight. I get really worked up.

College is a college to me. A 2 year college just the same as a 4 year college. Only difference, a community college is just 2 years and you receive your associates degree. A 4 year college you get a bachelor's degree on up to PH.D if you like.

Alot of students now is starting off with a 2 year college instead of a 4 year college. I would recommend a 2 year college first to anyone.

Now you have these Universities like Phoenix that you don't have to take all that crap. They start you out with your major, but that crap is high. My friend attends Phoenix.

I'm planning on going back to Houston Community College very soon. I just hope things work out for me now, then before.

Edited by houstonsemipro

colleges tend to cater to bachelor degrees, universities for bachelors and beyond (and are more research-oriented)...

you don't have any of those options at a community college...

Now you have these Universities like Phoenix that you don't have to take all that crap.

what does the university of phoenix not make you do?

Edited by sevfiv

• The title was changed to Does Houston Have Enough Universities/Colleges?