Don't Push

sevfiv

i had a quick question about a fixture in a friend's home. they recently purchased a home built in the late sixties (maybe 1970) and it has a little red button with a red (lit) light underneath. it is in the kitchen, and has no writing or other indication of what it may be.

they are scared to push it (but i have a feeling one of these days they are going to break down and do it!).

one suggestion was an emergency button (ems/police) but the way it is situated just seems odd.

does anyone have one of these or know what it may be? thanks!

i had a quick question about a fixture in a friend's home. they recently purchased a home built in the late sixties (maybe 1970) and it has a little red button with a red (lit) light underneath. it is in the kitchen, and has no writing or other indication of what it may be.

they are scared to push it (but i have a feeling one of these days they are going to break down and do it!).

one suggestion was an emergency button (ems/police) but the way it is situated just seems odd.

does anyone have one of these or know what it may be? thanks!

That is the reset button, in case a kitchen appliance overloads the circuit, it will just turn off the plug, and not shut the whole house off. You have the same thing in your kitchen I'm sure, or bathroom maybe ?

it is an original fixture i believe. i wish i had a picture, but the best i can describe is that it looks kind of like a stereotypical panic button (and that may very well be what it is).

it isn't anywhere near a plug or any other type of outlet/switch. :unsure:

it is an original fixture i believe. i wish i had a picture, but the best i can describe is that it looks kind of like a stereotypical panic button (and that may very well be what it is).

it isn't anywhere near a plug or any other type of outlet/switch. :unsure:

Oh, I thought you said it was on a plug, My bad. Well, Hell, go push it, what's the worst, that could happen, maybe a missile silo, pops up from under the linoleum!

Edited by TJones

As part of my parent's circa-1985 alarm system, there are multiple emergency buttons placed throughout the house (red buttons surrounded by a little metal ring to prevent someone from leaning against the button and activating it by accident). One in the master bedroom, one in the kitchen, and one in the garage.

In their case, they are set to alert the monitoring company to call 911 and report a medical emergency rather than a burglary. When you press the button, the alarm system doesn't go off, but instead a high-pitched beeping starts up.

Edited by travelguy_73

As part of my parent's circa-1985 alarm system, there are multiple emergency buttons placed throughout the house (red buttons surrounded by a little metal ring to prevent someone from leaning against the button and activating it by accident). One in the master bedroom, one in the kitchen, and one in the garage.

In their case, they are set to alert the monitoring company to call 911 and report a medical emergency rather than a burglary. When you press the button, the alarm system doesn't go off, but instead a high-pitched beeping starts up.

that was my first thought, although, there is no protective ring around the button whatsoever. you could be walking in to the laundry room and essentially brush against it and set it (whatever it is) off...

"HELP !, I've fallen.....and I can't reach my beer !" :lol:

My vote is for an as-built siren alarm system. The few houses I've seen with a 'security' system from back then had little lights on a switchplate next to either a button or a key switch (like an older car alarm switch on the fender), probably just hooked into a siren.

But these had two lights, red & green (on & off?). If yours has just one ... that's odd.

Complete speculation, but because it's located in the kitchen, could it be somehow fire related? Perhaps an alarm/smoke detector device?

I've also heard that some commercial kitchens have automatic fire extinguishers - perhaps this could activate one?

Or perhaps a way to remotely disable the stove, in case there was a really bad grease fire?

Edited by dbigtex56

Complete speculation, but because it's located in the kitchen, could it be somehow fire related? Perhaps an alarm/smoke detector device?

I've also heard that some commercial kitchens have automatic fire extinguishers - perhaps this could activate one?

Or perhaps a way to remotely disable the stove, in case there was a really bad grease fire?

I'd love to see that, a HAILOFT system, just completely smothering the whole kitchen, it would take a HazMat team to clean up the mess. :D

I'd love to see that, a HAILOFT system, just completely smothering the whole kitchen, it would take a HazMat team to clean up the mess. :D

Could it have been a notification device for a hearing impaired person? Maybe when the telephone rang the light would go on. Just a thought. Were we that socially conscious then?

Could it have been a notification device for a hearing impaired person? Maybe when the telephone rang the light would go on. Just a thought. Were we that socially conscious then?

Such a light would have been located close to where the phone was, I think, and would've been a bright white light bulb so that the fact it was flashing would be noticeable in more than one room.

Just where is this thing? On a wall, on a counter-top. I'd look under the counter-top or go up into the attic and see if I can tell where the wires go.

Try turning off the circuit breakers one at a time to see when the little red light goes out; that'll at least narrow it down.

Ask the realtor who sold them the house.

Did the Inspector notice it and comment?

Let us know before they press it so we can at least all go to an interior room with no windows.

• The title was changed to Don't Push