What Is Houston's Driving Like?

Houston driving......HELL of a lot better than British, Iraqi and Kuwaiti driving.

Brits....streets are narrow and crowded and drivers are really rude.

Iraqi and Kuwaiti road rules are non existant. Those are the places I've been the past 1.5yrs

So I am SOOOO lookinig foward to Houston driving.

One of the biggest things I miss is driving around town. Driving around when ever and where ever I want.

AC and music blasting B)

Oh yeah that is the life :rolleyes:

Biggest thing I'm not looking foward to is gas prices. When I left I believe prices were

$1.86. I hear prices are much higher :(

i'll have to second that! mix that with overly-aggressive driving, and you're destined for the teeth-grinding driving adventures you'll find here...

one thing i have noticed lately is that the same road i take to work most days (sometimes i have to change it up to amuse myself) has quite a bit of traffic, which is worsened by the fact that the far right lane becomes a turn-only lane.

you would think that if two lanes are backed up pretty bad, and the one right hand lane is practically empty, then maybe it's because the lane doesn't go through....but nooooo! alot of these people think it's their lucky day and a special lane has been opened up just for them! and of course, instead of gracefully turning right and making a u-turn, they sit in the middle of the intersection (without turn-signals of course) and maybe three cars can get through... fun.

the worst part is, i am pretty sure most of these drivers take this same route every day (groundhog day? :rolleyes: )

I think a large part of the problem is most everyone is from someplace else with different driving styles and culture. Throw in a very large population who learned to drive in places like Lagos, Bogota, Mexicao City, Rome, Cairo, Bagdad it leads to a mess. One city is the US with much worse driving is Boston. Jeez, the place is a mess.

orlando is the city i've found to be the worst when it comes to consistency. so many tourists coming from all over, all renting cars and they have no idea where they're going.

i'm sure i add to the problems in houston, i learned to drive in delhi where there are no rules probably similar to what htoniniraq was saying. but i'm usually in the left lane going 80+ with no problems other then rush hour. i'm glad i rarely deal with the stuff some of you are complaining about, i love driving here compared to other cities most of the time.

My wife and I spent a week in Jamaica this summer...and of course going from place to place we were in many taxis. It was an interesting experience...I was never scared on the road there, the drivers always seemed in total control, but there was much less "formality" to the whole driving experience. Like, no traffic striping (two lane roads often became three lane roads), pulling off on the left side of the road to make a right turn, forcing your way into traffic whenever you felt like it (but with a smile and a beep of the horn) etc.

The funny thing was coming back to America after that week. I drove like I was in Jamaica the first week I was home, no turn signals, friendly honking, ignoring traffic striping, just driving however I felt like it. I enjoyed driving like that, to be honest.

Archived