Heights Flooding

shady 75

I have been living in the Norhill section of the Heights for 5 months and am wondering what to expect in terms of flood waters, etc. How do these old houses hold up to high winds. I have an old wood house.

I am asking since there are members who have probably been through storms in the area.

I am trying to get a gage on what to expect.

Expect the unexpected!

If those old houses have held up this long, I expect they will hold up to just about anything. I wouldn't sweat the flooding part, either. This storm may drop a lot of rain, but it should move through quickly. Allison did so much damage because it hung around for over a week before leaving.

The neighborhood generally stays pretty dry during long rains (e.g. TS Allison). Not too many houses flood as the finished floor height is typically 1-3' above the street which gives you a pretty good cushion. There are parts that flood horribly, especially down by White Oak bayou.

The old houses are well suited for high winds. They typically have cypress or heart of pine siding that is hard as hell. On the inside of the frame wall there is typically 3/4" ship lap floor to ceiling which gives the entire frame good shear capacity.

Windows in an old house are a source of concern. They are large, single pane and break into long dangerous shards if broken. If you have an addition that was put after the original house was constructed, especially a second floor, the framing might be (probably is) very substandard.

The old houses are well suited for high winds.  They typically have cypress or heart of pine siding that is hard as hell.  On the inside of the frame wall there is typically 3/4" ship lap floor to ceiling which gives the entire frame good shear capacity.

I have a nearly-hundred year old house on the East End and am wondering how hip roofs fare compared to flatter ones. They are pyramidal and steep so would the vortex suction be more or less? I do have cypress ship-lapped walls and this thing has stood here all this time but I doubt a Cat 4 or 5 would have much trouble flattening it is we get a direct hit. The windows and old doors will be boarded.

As Heights2 mentioned, I really don't think flooding will be the major concern, but rather the wind.

I have a nearly-hundred year old house on the East End and am wondering how hip roofs fare compared to flatter ones. They are pyramidal and steep so would the vortex suction be more or less? I do have cypress ship-lapped walls and this thing has stood here all this time but I doubt a Cat 4 or 5 would have much trouble flattening it is we get a direct hit. The windows and old doors will be boarded.

As Heights2 mentioned, I really don't think flooding will be the major concern, but rather the wind.

danax, from what I've read, the thing that blows roofs off the house is a breach inside the house, such as windows or doors blowing in. This allows the wind to come in, causing pressure to build inside, blowing the roof off the top. I don't think the type of roof is as big a problem as pressure buildup.

i lived in the heights when alicia hit. glad i was there and not anywhere else.

My family has lived in the Heights since approx 1927. My grandparents house was built then, has gone through numerous hurricanes, and has never (knock on wood) suffered any damage.

As far as flooding, the story goes, that when my grandfather and his brother decided to purchase land in the Heights, that they visited the property after a big rain. Being country boys, they stomped on the ground, saw that it was high and dry, and decided to settle their families there. We've been there ever since!

Archived