Northwest Harris County

tomv

Fry Road is now finished all the way north to 290 from I 10. Previously it stopped just north of 529. I had the occasion to use it recently. It is strange to see a divided 4 lane boulevard pass through nothing but empty fields. This part of Harris County is being primed for substantial development. The Grand Parkway will pass through just west of here, providing better access, but an east-west freeway is sorely needed here along the 529 corridor. A good idea would be for the new Hempstead Toll Road to extend all the way down 529 to the Grand Parkway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Considering Far MORE people live in NW Harris County (ie. Spring, Cypress, Klein, Champions, etc) than The Woodlands, Pearland or most of these other areas...it's high time 'The Great Northwest' had its own Section.

Moderators, please create a section for The Great Northwest.

Considering Far MORE people live in NW Harris County (ie. Spring, Cypress, Klein, Champions, etc) than The Woodlands, Pearland or most of these other areas...it's high time 'The Great Northwest' had its own Section.

The idea has come up before, but there didn't seem to be sufficient interest or topics about that part of town.

I can't wait until Bridgeland is completed and filled up with residents. Just what the already traffic jammed 290 freeway needs, a huge masterplanned community to add at least 20,000 more vehicles to a freeway where it takes people at least an hour to get to work just from the beltway to downtown. Plus it is way way out there past Fairfield. There is no geography to make the area a nice community for people to settle like with the Woodlands.

I doubt this project will work. Something tells me with the traffic nightmare, soaring gas prices, and living on a huge chunk of farmland with no trees would keep this masterplanned neighborhood from succeeding. Someone should really tell Perry Homes that they need to buy a clue, look at the problems already present because of an overbuilt suburbia in the northwest, then look at trends in the new generation of home buyers, where we find a renewed interest in inner-loop living, as reported in a story by the Houston Chronicle a while back.

:lol:

• 1 month later...
I can't wait until Bridgeland is completed and filled up with residents. Just what the already traffic jammed 290 freeway needs, a huge masterplanned community to add at least 20,000 more vehicles to a freeway where it takes people at least an hour to get to work just from the beltway to downtown. Plus it is way way out there past Fairfield. There is no geography to make the area a nice community for people to settle like with the Woodlands.

I doubt this project will work. Something tells me with the traffic nightmare, soaring gas prices, and living on a huge chunk of farmland with no trees would keep this masterplanned neighborhood from succeeding. Someone should really tell Perry Homes that they need to buy a clue, look at the problems already present because of an overbuilt suburbia in the northwest, then look at trends in the new generation of home buyers, where we find a renewed interest in inner-loop living, as reported in a story by the Houston Chronicle a while back.

The project is actually closer in than much of Fairfiled, as it is off of Fry Road (although it does stretch all the way to katy Hockley. also, the geography is very nice. The area is adjacent to the Katy Prarier Conservacy and has huge amounts of birds year round!

This community lies right next to Blackhorse Ranch, Cypress Creek Ranch and Mischer's Cypress Creek Lakes, an 1800-acre development that will have 4,500 homes.

Add in the developments on the other side of 290 like Lakes of Fairhaven, Fairfield and you've got a booming population on the north and West side of Cypress...

The wooded side of Cypress (Longwood, Cole's Crossing, Rock Creek) will likely be built-out as far as new subdivisions within a year or so.

Yeah, just like Cinco Ranch was a complete and utter failure...with the Katy Freeway as bad as it is, soaring gas prices, and the area is just a big chunk of farmland with no trees except those planted by the developers... :huh:

Someone should really tell PureAuteur to get a clue, look at the sales volumes already present because of low home prices in the suburban northwest, then look at the new generation of home buyers (seven of eight new homes purchased are outside of Beltway 8), where we find a renewed interest in inner-loop living among those that can afford it or that work there, but pragmatism among those who want a house with a yard, but have a more modest income or work in the suburbs, where the bulk of new office, retail, and industrial job creation is.

And I wouldn't say the prices are exactly 'low'...the vast majority of these new neighborhoods going in have tens of thousands homes ranging from around $200K to the $700's with some all the way up in the millions. You just get a hell of a lot more for your money.

Traffic is a delicate flower, however. They're gonna have to speed up their timetable for expanding 290, and installing that new Toll-road. Be nice if they expanded 249 all the way into the loop as well.

the vast majority of these new neighborhoods going in have tens of thousands homes ranging from around $200K to the $700's with some all the way up in the millions.

Hmm...I don't think so. The Woodlands has 25,000 homes, Kingwood has 19,500 homes, Cinco Ranch will have 12,000 at total buildout, and First Colony is up around 10,000. Virtually everything else is below the big 4. Only the Woodlands would qualify as "tens of thousands".

Red, are you kidding? Do you know how many people live in this area? Do you know how many high schools this area supports and how many more are being built? The Cypress area ALONE has many more $200K-$1M+ homes than The Woodlands...add in the rest of the area of NW Houston (Tomball, Klein, Champions, Spring, Jersey Village etc) and you easily, EASILY have several times that number -- its not even close!

http://www.har.com

In the Cypress Area alone:

Wincrest Falls, Longwood, Coles Crossing, Lakewood Oaks Estates, Lakewood, Stable Gate, Village Creek, Northpointe Forest, Tuscany, Rock Creek, Cypress Creek Lakes, Riata Ranch, Stone Oak, Lakes of Rosehill, Lismore Lakes, Park Forest, Northlake Forest, Villaggio, Sydney Harbour, Lakewood Glen, Reserve at Cypress Creek, Blackhorse Ranch, Leyland Shores, Fairfield, Windermere Lakes, Wortham Estates, Vintage Lakes, Western Estates, Lakewood Crossing, Lakewood Grove, Lakes of Fairhaven, Copper Lakes, Stone Gate, and all of the various little ranchettes.

Double that if you're adding in Klein right next door:

Gleannloch Farms, Champion Forest, Champions, Lakes of Sterling Gate, Theisswood Estates, Huntwick, Champions Park, Champions Park North, Highland Timbers, Memorial Northwest, Wimbledon Champions, Woods of Wimbledon, The Falls at Champion Forest, Windrose, Glenn Haven Estates, Brentwood Lakes, Champion Oaks, Estates at Windrush, Spring Creek Oaks, Cypresswood Forest, Wimbledon Estates, Memorial Creek, Champions Centre, Estates at Champions Park, Hamlet at Champions, Marble Gate, Barrington Woods and all of the little Champions enclaves and gated communities.

True...but that is not what you said. You said the "the vast majority of these new neighborhoods going in have tens of thousands homes". That is untrue. The vast majority of the subdivisions being built in NW Harris County have hundreds of homes. Some have thousands of homes. NONE have tens of thousands of homes.

Now, if you are saying that ALL of NW Harris County is building tens of thousands of homes, that may be true over a period of several years. If you are saying ALL of NW Harris County has tens of thousands of homes in total, that would be true. But, you're post, as written, is untrue.

You know what I meant, Red. Don't be an ass.

What I said was, there were tens of thousands of $200K-1M homes in this area of NW Houston. And it is true there will be tens of thousands more going into the new developments in and around Bridgeland over the next decade.

Obviously, there aren't any mega-sized masterplanned communities out this way since most of the neighborhoods in the area were cobbled together and developed from the old farms, ranches and forestland that belonged to the original German families (Lyle Lovett's family being one of them) who settled in this area back in the 1800's.

(Bridgeland is the exception as it is for the most part a combination of two large ranches -- the Josey and the Longenbaugh)

• 3 weeks later...
The last time a demand for a sub-forum for a neighborhood was made, the editor created a West U topic. I think it has had 2 or 3 threads since that time. :huh:

The difference is, people live in the Great Northwest. West U is outpopulated by most fishing villages.

How much office space (i.e. jobs) is available in the NW area, and where do most NW residents commute to? Personally I only know one person that works on the 290 corridor.

The difference is, people live in the Great Northwest. West U is outpopulated by most fishing villages.

How much office space (i.e. jobs) is available in the NW area, and where do most NW residents commute to? Personally I only know one person that works on the 290 corridor.

a lot of people in my neighborhood work at the HP campus on 249...but then also many of my neighbors also work inside the loop

i wouldnt say there is much office space in my area...but there sure are a hell of a lot of strip malls going up and its getting quite annoying. HP is the biggest office in the area to my knowledge though, the main office complexes pick up inside the beltway

Archived