Midtown Apartments/Lofts

gable

I have just recently accepted a transfer to Houston with my company. From what I can tell Midtown appears to be a great place to live and have fun. I have two questions that could sway my decision and I hope you all can help.

1) My office is off of Beltway and Hardy Toll Road. Mapquest shows that Midtown is about 16 miles away. I understand there is traffic, however my office is directly north of this area. Will I be avoiding traffic and does anyone know how long of a commute this is?

2) I will be signing a 12 month corporate lease. Does anyone have some recomendations of where to live for a single male that goes out most weekends and some nights?

3) I will be looking for a place THIS WEEK. How full are the apartments/lofts?

Thanks,

gable

Try this site. They have plenty of properties for rent and in parenthesis they have the area it is located in. If you are lucky some might have pics which will be listed in orange next to the listing.

http://houston.craigslist.org/apa/

If you have any questions on any other areas you may be attracted to other than Midtown/Montrose don't be afraid to ask.

I am really confused about a few things. Montrose and Midtown are really close to each other correct? What I have found are the price difference in the two areas. Is there anything about the montrose area you guys can shed some light on that I may not know about?

gable

1.) since you'll be going in the opposite direction of the suburban traffic & assuming you need to be at work around 7-8 am your commute via 59, 610w, hardy toll will be approx. 20 minutes (with most of your traffic on 59n)

2.) more clarification as to what you'd be going for (chicks, sports, etc.)

3.) around montrose you might be a bit squeezed for the right spot, but round midtown I'm pretty sure you'll find something accomodating

-good luck

I would say you could be anywhere along the US 59 corridor from downtown to Loop 610 and be convenient to the action. If you want to be really close to a lot of action, midtown or even central downtown is worth a look.

In case you're not familiar, Montrose is a gay area so it may be awkward to say "I live in Montrose" if you're straight. I used to catch a lot of ____ from co-workers when I used to go to Shepherd Plaza (a now-defunct bar area) because it was close to Montrose.

The Village (along Kirby south of 59) is a good spot for 20-something chicks. I couldn't get any satisfaction from the downtown scene as of 2003-2004 and preferred the Village. But things are always changing downtown and it depends what you're looking for.

As for traffic, I-45 through downtown is just about always backed up so you will want to avoid that on your commute.

I would suggest looking at some of the apartments along Memorial and Washington just west of downtown. I think some of the complexes are relatively new and affordable. You could head north a short distance to get on I-10, then use it to catch I-45 going north, avoiding the downtown backups. This is also close to West Gray (River Oaks/Montrose), which has some pubs. It is also minutes away from downtown.

Try this site.  They have plenty of properties for rent and in parenthesis they have the area it is located in.  If you are lucky some might have pics which will be listed in orange next to the listing.

http://houston.craigslist.org/apa/

If you have any questions on any other areas you may be attracted to other than Midtown/Montrose don't be afraid to ask.

Just be wary of this website. He has an apartment at Shepherd and Welch as being in the Galleria area. I noticed a few others he seems a bit confused on re: location.

Just a tip!

B)

I would absolutely recommend midtown if you plan on going out a lot. There are plenty of decent walkable bars / restaurants in the midtown area and more seem to be opening every day. Proximity to Specs is also a big plus. Downtown is very close by rail or taxi and if it's not too hot outside it's not a bad walk. Tons of mid twenty to mid thirty year olds around as well.

However, the ability to walk to supermarkets, dry cleaners, stumble to the bars, and grab some take out on foot was the most compelling reason for me to live there.

you can try this site too, they seem to have good deals:

apartmentwiz

you can email them and they'll tell you the exact location and provide more details.

craiglist is going to have more sublets and people trying to sell their condos, so you'll be dealing with individuals. great for finding a quick short term place.

I have just recently accepted a transfer to Houston with my company.  From what I can tell Midtown appears to be a great place to live and have fun.  I have two questions that could sway my decision and I hope you all can help.

1)  My office is off of Beltway and Hardy Toll Road.  Mapquest shows that Midtown is about 16 miles away.  I understand there is traffic, however my office is directly north of this area.  Will I be avoiding traffic and does anyone know how long of a commute this is?

2)  I will be signing a 12 month corporate lease.  Does anyone have some recomendations of where to live for a single male that goes out most weekends and some nights?

3)  I will be looking for a place THIS WEEK.  How full are the apartments/lofts?

Thanks,

gable

The Houston Association of Realtors web site is har.com. You will search in area 16 for rental units. Midtown sounds right for you.

My two cents, and I live downtown and commute to the airport pretty often, so have a good idea of what I'm speaking about--sorry if anything has already been repeated.

Commute:

If your office is off Hardy/BW8, you can take Hardy every day or 59 North. 59 is free and is generally not congested, but Hardy is usually my choice because it is consistently quiet and you can drive *fast*. I chose to live near Minute Maid Park because it provides easy access to Crawford St, which turns into Hardy Toll Road, thus avoiding any rush hour traffic on the other freeways.

Places to live:

Why not live downtown vs Midtown? Then you get the benefit of walking to Main Street nightlife. Alexan Lofts, Hermann Lofts, Hoff Palace, Post Rice Lofts, Sabine Street, Lofts at the Ballpark, Dakota, Camden Midtown, etc., will all have what you are looking for. All have a young crowd, are well-managed, and are in your price range. Rent specials used to be the norm (1 month free on 12 months lease) but that may have changed if Katrina refugees have snapped up enough units.

Anything along Memorial or Allen Parkway would be good, and have the added bonus of being nearer to Memorial Park than the other places.

Stay away from:

Anything along 59 between downtown and 610 West--the traffic there can be really bad due to construction and will just cause you unnecessary grief. Also Galleria area, again too much traffic.

Anything else, you are welcome to PM me.

Chris

1)  My office is off of Beltway and Hardy Toll Road.  Mapquest shows that Midtown is about 16 miles away.  I understand there is traffic, however my office is directly north of this area.  Will I be avoiding traffic and does anyone know how long of a commute this is?

2)  I will be signing a 12 month corporate lease.  Does anyone have some recomendations of where to live for a single male that goes out most weekends and some nights?

For six months last year I made the daily commute from Montrose (Westheimer/Waugh) to an office next to BW8/Hardy. It took me 22 minutes flat using 59, either way, at any time of the day.

I'd recommend Midtown around the Randalls/Specs area. Quick entry onto 59, decent amount of places to go out within walking distance, and you can take the metrorail into downtown.

A friend spent this summer interning in downtown, and lived in a corporate apt right across from the midtown Randalls. He survived the summer WITHOUT A CAR. A Houston first, me thinks!

Why not live downtown vs Midtown?  Then you get the benefit of walking to Main Street nightlife. 

though i love the main street nightlife, that's more of a once a week thing, and you can take the train/taxi.

maybe i'm wrong, but my impression is midtown is more livable, more people, grocery, restaurants. it seems to me that downtown just doesn't have enough for the evenings/weekends.

just my impression, i'm hoping to move somewhere around there over xmas. the area in midtown by spec's is what i'm leaning towards, though i still need to start the real apartment search...

The Amli Midtown is in a great location. THey aren't the most elaborate apartments, but they are well kept and up to date. You will find plenty to do in the area. I know of a few people that live\lived their...some liked it and some didn't. Either way you are in good shape because of the 12 month lease.

• The title was changed to Midtown Apartments/Lofts