What Happened To Nascar In Houston?

DJ V Lawrence

I think they were trying to get NASCAR's approval but it never happened. There were some NIMBY factors. The area they were planning to put it really was in the middle of nowhere along SH 288. It would have been a great economic benefit for the area.

A lot of it also depends whether the group with the idea could get finacial backers to jump into the deal.

I think they were trying to get NASCAR's approval but it never happened.  There were some NIMBY factors.  The area they were planning to put it really was in the middle of nowhere along SH 288.  It would have been a great economic benefit for the area.

A lot of it also depends whether the group with the idea could get finacial backers to jump into the deal.

Do you think it would have helped if they proposed a place closer to Houston?

I think they were trying to get NASCAR's approval but it never happened.  There were some NIMBY factors.  The area they were planning to put it really was in the middle of nowhere along SH 288.  It would have been a great economic benefit for the area.

There was only one issue involved in building this track...whether they could get a NASCAR event. Without a race, no one will invest. Everything else was secondary. Since two groups control 70% of NASCAR, if they don't give you a race, you aren't getting one. So the project died.

Archived