Kanye West Comment

JJ18

Your post was great.. up until this point.

More importantly, since you have protected your bank account by not helping these victims, why do you care at all?  Those of us who donate to the Red Cross have not attached strings to our generosity.  We don't need you to look out for our money.  We're not taking ours with us, so we need to give it away down here.

I never said that I didn't give. I explicitly said that I didn't give to Red Cross. There are too many charities too count in just the Houston area alone - much less the nation. My wife and I chose to give to a charity that we felt would best represent our interests. I'm sure you know them by now, but I'll again repeat them: food, medicine, clothing, shelter, reconstruction.

My comment about 9|ll was about the Red Cross fiasco afterwards. There were reports of hundreds of first-line families (spouses, children) not recieving money while second-line families were. They also never gained a hard count of how much money was raised nationally, internationally, and via telethons. To this day it hasn't been sorted out, but rather the managers have changed and new disasters have since struck to take the attention away from the subject.

Since you ask about the Bush administration, I am not the one who keeps calling all this conversation political. Political conversations concern policy, politicians, and politics. My views on the poor, welfare abuse, and life in general, are views of a ethnical & moral level - not of a political level.

What I fail to understand is the blinding acceptance to welfare abuse. How deep into your (not just you Red - but to whom may ever read this post) pockets are you going to allow the greedy to reach? And "no", the greedy are not always the ones in the 7 series. Just as guilty as I am for attempting to expose those few who ruin the system; are you (all) for letting them do it - either by just shrugging your shoulders, making an excuse, or simply turning you head away.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to spoil the fun guys. But I'll take this opportunity to interject once again.

Red - Your link to the "colonias" article is about conditions across the border . . . granted there are locations on the US side that are ALMOST as bad. But, once again, I'll repeat my statement . . . America's poor have it good compared to the poor in the rest of the world.

I had the opportunity to live in the Philippines (was there for 5 years) and one of the most heart-wrenching sights I've seen are the kids and families that lived in a landfill (nick named "smoky mountain"). My heart still bleeds when I think of the kids there. What's worse, is the knowledge that "smoky mountain" is just one example of the conditions that exist all over the third-world.

http://www.fire-international.org/projects...%20Mountain.htm

You pick the poorest of America's poor, and worsen their condition ten-fold, and it will still not get anywhere near those conditions.

Sorry to spoil YOUR fun midtown, but...

Why is it in the world's wealthiest country, we have conditions even approaching the desparation that exists in the colonias, the Appalachians and the Ozarks? Why are we even having these debates? Why is a country that can spend $300 Billion on "needless" wars, cannot find the money to have running water in its poorest areas?

I know the answer. It has been the bane of advanced civilizations since time immemorial. The more wealth one accumulates, the more wealth one desires. An attitude of helping one's neighbor morphs into an attitude of "everyone's out to take my money". Even on this board, you can see it. Jeebus is furious that someone may have wasted 50 bucks from a charity that he doesn't even contribute to....yet, there is no outrage at the $15 Billion the airlines demanded, and were given, after 9/11. There is no outrage over Gordon Bethune's $21 million retirement.

This is not to pick on Jeebus, and certainly not midtown. You are just two who responded. But, I'll say it again. There are two Americas. And if it remains two Americas, both will be less than half as strong as the whole.

I am outraged that Amtrak recieved less than 1% of what the airlines were given during the bail out. You just never asked. :)

I also agree that there are two Americas. Unfortunately, what once was predicted as an absolution for the partisanship (9|ll), eventually failed us too. Even the worst disaster U.S. citizens have ever experienced still wasn't enough to bring us together. With that said - I honestly don't know what will. It looks like Katrina won't either.

Until that day.. I guess I'll have to stay mildly conservative.

I am outraged that Amtrak recieved less than 1% of what the airlines were given during the bail out. You just never asked. :)

I also agree that there are two Americas. Unfortunately, what once was predicted as an absolution for the partisanship (9|ll), eventually failed us too. Even the worst disaster U.S. citizens have ever experienced still wasn't enough to bring us together. With that said - I honestly don't know what will. It looks like Katrina won't either.

Until that day.. I guess I'll have to stay mildly conservative.

I knew if we posted long enough, we'd agree on something. :P

I can honestly say that I learn more non-useful political trivia here than anywhere else! I spend so much time looking up all the "hearsay" I read here to verify its authenticity before I reply. Otherwise, I would have 5 times as many posts by now! :P

Archived