Oak Farms Dairy Vs. East End Nimbys

Guest danax

Bizjournal article

To summarize;

Oak Farms wants to buy parts of Bell and Sampson streets in order to expand. The streets would be paved over and blocked off. One neighbor gets 300 signatures and the City puts the approval on hold until Oak Farms addresses the neighborhood concerns; noise and truck traffic.

As the urban jungle becomes more civilized by becoming increasingly affluent and residential, these battles will continue to take place for many decades. And Houston, as the only major US city without zoning, is on the front lines.

The Warehouse District on the East End has been mostly industrial for its entire existence and now with increasing numbers of new residential developments, it's likely to have a few more of these battles before it's all over. Some of the older, poorer residents probably would've let it go, either through not knowing, not caring, or feeling powerless. The new urban dweller, however, is more knowledgeable, aware and geared towards civic activism thus creating an opposing force willing to wage war. Although this particular battle might not pertain to most of us, the type of battle, quality of life versus free enterprise, is classically Houston, and might at some point.

Trains, industry, mechanic shops....Should the residents just suck it all up or is it part of a healthy, natural process of a no-zoning city to have these uprisings?

sticky situation

the dairy has been there since 1940s and employs a fair amount of people...the woman has lived there since 1953, but was offered crap for her house and land...

and they claim that the man who hasn't rented out his house in three years hasn't had a sign out for three years.

hmm

• 2 years later...
sticky situation

the dairy has been there since 1940s and employs a fair amount of people...the woman has lived there since 1953, but was offered crap for her house and land...

and they claim that the man who hasn't rented out his house in three years hasn't had a sign out for three years.

hmm

I can't believe it! When I logged on, I was going to ask if Oak Farms milk is sold in Houston. I know that Borden is. This I saw this thread. It answered my question. I seem to remember a big neon Borden sign of Elsie the Cow somewhere in Houston.

• The title was changed to Oak Farms Dairy Vs. East End Nimbys

Archived