Regal Ranch At 4011 South Main St.

MaxConcrete

https://youtu.be/lAAZD79KMos

My father seems fairly sure this pony ride was near South Main and Braeswood, which was the location of Kiddie Wonderland. But when I look at online photos and video of Kiddie Wonderland, the setting of this movie does not match. This movie shows a large, rectangular event space with small grandstand and high fences, whereas Kiddie Wonderland had a smaller track with lower fences. The movie background is mostly undeveloped, also not consistent with Kiddie Wonderland. Does anyone know where this pony ride was?

This was the 1969 Chevron picnic. Yes, that's me on the pony.

I had ruled out Regal Ranch off South Main near Missouri City because my father said the video was not at Regal Ranch. But now that I look at the aerial layout of the horse arena, Regal Ranch is consistent with the video and is the likely location. I'll need to drive by Regal Ranch to try to get a definite match on the site. I suppose my father could get film locations confused 46 years after the event.

I think this was the H&H Guest Ranch on Greens Road just east of JFK. NOTHING was around there when this video was shot. Check out the website and the background will look just like what we see in the video. There is a map of the ranch and its facilities, but there's no big corral anymore. I went there in the early sixties, and I can testify it now looks nothing like it did then.

http://www.hhranch.com/

I agree this is not Kiddie Wonderland.  That's an open arena for shows, not a path for ponies to walk around.  Also it's apparent the ponies had to be trucked in for the event.

The trees in the background are consistent with what grows on the south side of Houston, less so, in my experience, with growth to the north.

Did Regal Ranch have an arena like this?  Was Regal even there 46 years ago?  I'd say the facility is not new, either, so we're talking about someplace that's been around more than 46 years.

I think it's a small town rodeo arena, of which there were several around, Simonton, Bailey's Prairie in Brazoria Co.  I'm sure there had to be one on the east side (where was the Chevron facility?  What kind of facility was it?  Where did the employees live?)  There may have been one somewhere off S. Main, farther out than Kiddie Wonderland.

I see bleachers, a speaker mounted on a pole for announcing events, are there signs on the fence in the distance?  This is not the setup for a kiddie rides park.

https://youtu.be/lAAZD79KMos

My father seems fairly sure this pony ride was near South Main and Braeswood, which was the location of Kiddie Wonderland. But when I look at online photos and video of Kiddie Wonderland, the setting of this movie does not match. This movie shows a large, rectangular event space with small grandstand and high fences, whereas Kiddie Wonderland had a smaller track with lower fences. The movie background is mostly undeveloped, also not consistent with Kiddie Wonderland. Does anyone know where this pony ride was?

This was the 1969 Chevron picnic. Yes, that's me on the pony.

Not sure where it was but it isn't Kiddie Wonderland. Looks like a private owned property. Kiddie Wonderland had 3 rings that they led the horses\ponies to that the animals were trained to go around the ring then come back to the stables and to their stalls. The rings were slow\beginner, medium, quick\experienced riders. I worked there for 2 summers as a young teenager.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm now nearly certain this was Regal Ranch. I just drove past and took a few photos. The bleachers and chutes at Regal Ranch are an excellent match to the video. The fence has been replaced with a metal fence - to be expected after 46 years. I checked with my father and Chevron did use Regal Ranch on a few occasions for smaller events.

• The title was changed to Regal Ranch At 4011 South Main St.

Archived