Toyota Prius

PureAuteur

F-150, huh? And you're looking to move to the Woodlands? Enjoy your commute!

Alden Bridge to Downtown - 39 miles

Daily commute - 78 miles

F-150 gas mileage - 14 mpg

Gas used daily - 5.5 gallons

Cost @ $3.00/gallon - $16.50 per day/$363 per month

Cost of drinks to calm down from commute - $9.00 at happy hour prices

Total - $25.50 per day

B)

I never said I wa going to move to The Woodlands, and the F-150 gets 17 mpg. I don't drink, so take out, the $9.00, and prices are currently $2.85.

Lets re-figure:

Daily Commute (from the Woodlands) 78 miles

F-150 gas mileage 17 mpg

Gas used daily 5 gallons

Cost @ $2.85 would be appx $15

Add $1.20 for a Mt. Dew

Total=$16.20/day, not too bad.

We have two 2005 Prius that we use as pool cars at work. They're pretty sweet. The only thing they didn't come with that disappointed us was an in-dash mp3 player. They are stone-cold silent when you start them - which is achieved by simply pushing the "power" button.

The only four questions we always get (from clients we drive) are:

1. How much did it cost? I think we got ours for around 21k.

2. What's the real gas milage? Around 46 miles per gallon. We would probably get more if we weren't always gunning it for our clients' amusal!

3. How quickly can it accelerate? As quickly as any other 4 cylinder compact (ie: a civic or corolla)

4. How fast can it go? We don't know, we've never had a reason to go over 80 in it.

The only negative thing we've heard is that the batteries supposedly only last 4 years, and then they have to be replaced. We were also told that Toyota charges an $800.00 dollar disposal fee and the new batteries cost over $2000.00 new. We don't actually know, and we have yet to get around to calling Toyota to find out. I doubt its true, but we'll find out in about three years!

The only negative thing we've heard is that the batteries supposedly only last 4 years, and then they have to be replaced. We were also told that Toyota charges an $800.00 dollar disposal fee and the new batteries cost over $2000.00 new. We don't actually know, and we have yet to get around to calling Toyota to find out. I doubt its true, but we'll find out in about three years!

FWIW, I recently read an article about hybrids and an engineer from either Toyota or Honda (I forget exactly which one) was talking about the battery life. He said that so far, his manufacturer had only replaced batteries in a very small number of their hybrids sold, and all batteries replaced were defective and under warranty. But overall the batteries have proven extremely reliable. He also said that some of the oldest, and highest mileage, hybrids they had manufactured were still running with their original batteries, and some of them had mileage well beyond the original estimates. So the batteries may prove to be longer lasting than what was originally thought.

FWIW, I recently read an article about hybrids and an engineer from either Toyota or Honda (I forget exactly which one) was talking about the battery life. He said that so far, his manufacturer had only replaced batteries in a very small number of their hybrids sold, and all batteries replaced were defective and under warranty. But overall the batteries have proven extremely reliable. He also said that some of the oldest, and highest mileage, hybrids they had manufactured were still running with their original batteries, and some of them had mileage well beyond the original estimates. So the batteries may prove to be longer lasting than what was originally thought.

I don't think any conclusion can be reached about battery life at this point. Old hybrids with high mileage have been run on the highway a lot to accrue all those miles, and that means the batteries aren't doing much besides just sitting there holding the car down. Lots more charging and discharging occurs with city stop and go type driving....

Even the conventional 12 volt battery may not be long for this world. 42 volt electrical systems are on the horizon.

If the standard auto battery had more voltage, it could cut fuel consumption by 10%, reduce emissions and add the punch needed for the explosion of electronic technology under the hood.

Note: this is an older article - introduction of 42 volt systems still seems to be a few years off.

I wish! I've never had one last more than about 50,000 miles.

Houston's heat and humid is not a very hospitable enviroment for a car battery. About 3 to 4yrs. is about average for car battery here. If your car is lucky enough to be in a garage, you could get a little more.

Regular car batteries don't last long in Houston because its hot. But those are for cars with batteries in the engine compartment. Cars with batteries away from a heat source, usually last quite a bit longer. The hybrids battery is usually in the center of the car for weight distribution purposes and is away from heat sources. Plus they are not lead-acid type.

Archived