Columbia Tap Trail

• 2 weeks later...

Once again there are criminals attacking cyclist on the Columbia Tap trail, this happened before with several robberies done by young kids. Luckily they got caught and it seemed safe to ride again. I quit riding it for about 2 years when it happened the first time because I was almost alway riding by myself. When they caught them I once again felt comfortable in riding it. A rider posted this on Reddit today.

w1YzFW0.png

• Sad 5

There’s another reddit post from this morning, sounds like this happened again yesterday afternoon at the section just north of TSU.

This was posted by a woman who says her husband was jumped and pistol-whipped while on his bike, and is currently in ICU. She says that he was riding and came upon 4 guys who were blocking his path, and they robbed him.

Same guys, maybe?

• Sad 6

Just reported on Channel 13, a bike rider was shot in the leg last night around 10:00pm in the same area of the other attacks

17 hours ago, BEES?! said:

There’s another reddit post from this morning, sounds like this happened again yesterday afternoon at the section just north of TSU.

This was posted by a woman who says her husband was jumped and pistol-whipped while on his bike, and is currently in ICU. She says that he was riding and came upon 4 guys who were blocking his path, and they robbed him.

Same guys, maybe?

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2023/05/30/he-got-jumped-man-severely-beaten-robbed-while-riding-bike-in-park-in-third-ward-area/

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Channel 13 is having an update on this at 5:00pm.  I saw their camera man on the trail near TSU - he said a press conference had just finished.  I also saw 2 uniformed police officers riding the trail - they said they are ramping up patrols - I asked if they had caught anyone, they said not yet

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 3

"After five cyclists were attacked in the past two weeks on a bike trail stretching through Third Ward, Houston Police Department officials planned to increase patrols and conduct undercover operations to take back control and promote safety along the trail.

Houston Police Executive Assistant Chief Larry Satterwhite said investigators believe the attacks, while random, are connected. He said the crimes —  which include a shooting — likely were committed by the same people, a theory authorities developed because similar methods have been used in the execution of each attack. And while police have some leads they have been working to catch those responsible, they continue to ask for the public's help to identify the assailants."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/trending/article/columbia-tap-bike-trial-police-increase-18127694.php

• Like 5

On 6/3/2023 at 11:37 AM, pablog said:

Goal Park Foundation unveiled the Master Plan last night and is now live on the website! www.goalpark.org

Happy Jonah Hill GIF

If they can get the Civic Park done, its a massive, massive win for the residents over there, the dynamo/dash (think off all the game day stuff!), soccer shots (who is always looking for an outdoor place to do events with kids), and cyclists. The bike path itself is more Bagby than a traditional bike path, which I love and I think will encourage all modality of uses. I know this group has been around for a while, but it seems like they are finally beginning to get plugged in to the right people given the public workshop I went to earlier this year.

To be honest, they could carry this concept all along the TAP trail, there's so much land around the trail that is just empty. Unfortunate that the section between 45 and TSU could really hamper usage of Goal Park even if they execute some of the vision. Hoping COH develops a long term vision for 45-TSU TAP that promotes safety, illumination, and maybe improved land usage along the trail. I see people just sitting along side the trail, if city dropped some trees and even some cheap kids playground items, it would be a huge change. Much like the Goal Park changes things for the east side residents, basically anything COH does to the 45-TSU TAP is a huge win for the 3rd ward residents (although that may encourage some amounts of gentrification, which I know Shabazz and co are sensitive to).

• Like 1

"Two teenagers were arrested in connection with recent robberies on a Third Ward bike trail and more people could be arrested in the future, the Houston Police Department announced. 

Two 17-year-olds, Deion Christten and Willie Carroll, were charged with robbery and evading arrest, according to HPD.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Columbia Tap Trail
  • 2 months later...