Chase Building Architecture Tour

Subdude

PMorgan Chase Building Architectural Tour

2 p.m., Sunday, August 14, 2005

Enter at 707 Travis Street, Downtown

Visit one of Houston's greatest indoor spaces during Greater Houston Preservation Alliance's 90-minute guided tour of the JPMorgan Chase Building.

Opened in 1929 as the Gulf Building, the 36-story Art Deco skyscraper is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is a City of Houston Landmark and a National Civil Engineering Landmark. The outstanding restoration has been recognized by GHPA with two Good Brick Awards.

The building was commissioned by financier and philanthropist Jesse Jones as the home of his National Bank of Commerce. The innovative design was created by Alfred C. Finn, architect of the San Jacinto Monument. The tour includes the impressive limestone banking hall, original frescoes of Texas history in the Main Street lobby, and the portraits of Texas heroes in Heritage Hall.

Tickets are $10 per person ($7 for GHPA members and students with valid ID). Children 11 years old and under are admitted free. Tickets go on sale at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, August 14, at the 707 Travis Street entrance. The last group will leave at 2:10 p.m. Reservations are not required.

On-street parking is free in downtown Houston on Sundays. Paid parking is available for $5 in the Chase Garage at 600 Travis. For directions and details, visit www.ghpa.org or call 713-216-5000.

looks like there will be about four of us...?

of course we won't know (unless we adopt the secret handshake...haha)

We should sponsor our own architecture tours!  Old motels and dive bars on Telephone Road!  :lol:

don't forget about OST and maybe bellfort if you're feeling lucky...haha

• 1 month later...

holy crapcakes...i will find them! they are somewhere on my computer at home...i know i already downloaded them...

i wonder where the next one will be held...

i'll also be sure to post some pictures of this month's member tour of esperson.

i wonder where the next one will be held...

i'll also be sure to post some pictures of this month's member tour of esperson.

From the GHPA website:

September 11: This month's tour has been canceled.

All of us have been touched by Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. To allow those in our group to deal with personal and professional matters in the storm's wake, we will not hold our regularly scheduled Walking Tour in September. We'll return to our normal schedule Sunday, October 9.

• 2 weeks later...
eh, the tour has been postponed of course...but in the meantime, i found a few of the pictures from the chase tour...

Thanks for posting the pictures, sevfiv.

BTW, does anyone know of what material those medallions (I guess that's what you'd call them - the circular decorative elements near the top of the walls) are made? Our guide didn't know.

• 2 weeks later...
Well shucks!

Serves me right for being a cheapskate and not getting my GHPA membership. And I so wanted to see the Esperson Building, too! :(

are there any architectural tours that people can sign up for that have a schedule? When I was in Seattle the Architectural society gave tours on an annual basis and had a schedule...I was wondering if this happened in Houston too.

Archived