New Section?

I noticed there are many posts regarding waterfront developments, boardwalks, traffic congestion, and new condo residential towers. The area has become a very congested and popular destination, not only for residences, but also for entertainment, particularly the watersports, waterfronts, and just the whole gulf coast related activities. Clear Lake is the defacto Houston waterfront, if you will.

Most of the residential and commercial parts of Clear Lake fall within the Houston city limits. Should we have a section in the Houston Neigborhoods forum regarding this area?

I don't object, but looking through "Other neighborhoods" it appears that there have been very few posts about the area to justify a new section. Most posts have probably been under "Going Up". If we add more neighborhood sections we might want to prune down "Going Up", since it gets confusing about what belongs where.

I would think there is a similar situation with the Woodlands section, except Clear Lake is inside the city limits of Houston, whereas the Woodlands is not. So the same arguments regarding if there should be a separate section or not, would also be similar to the Woodlands case.

• 1 year later...

Not all of Clear Lake "City" is in the Houston city limits. Their are two parts of the orginal Friendswood Develpment project that are outside the city limits. Clear Lake Forest is partly in Pasedena and partly in Taylor Lake Village. Their is also a section of the orginal development off Bay Area Blvd. that is in Webster. And of course their is Nassua Bay (not a Friedswood Dev. project) that is it's own city. Nassau Bay even had an independent telephone company back then. (Continental Phone Co.)

Clear Lake City finally succumbed to Houston's annexation back in the Cathy Whitmere days when the debt to revenue ratio of the Clear Lake City Water Authority was low enough to make the take over desirable. Houston has let the "water authority" continue to operate independently because it is so efficient.

• 4 months later...
Clear Lake needs its own section. We have posts on it all the time, and no, they are not all written by me!

Put it in the Galveston section then. . . LOL

Just messing, I would agree to that if you can make sure everyone agrees on that, we also have Friendswood, Pearland, Webster, League City, Texas City, and Pasadena all close by.

Do you think we would get more posts on these areas if there were a dedicated sub-forum? I think that happened with the Great Northwest.

It is. I'm willing to try a Southeast forum. I just need a name (something other than Great Southeast) and some geographic boundaries. Maybe something like the mainland south of Beltway 8, or Clear Lake or something.

Do you think we would get more posts on these areas if there were a dedicated sub-forum? I think that happened with the Great Northwest.

IMO the way that these subforums are laid out needs to be rethought. Right now, for instance, the descriptions for each subforum are somewhat odd. The 'Katy' subforum indicates that it is Houston's most average suburb and then provides the population of the City of Katy. I'm not clear what fraction of posts in that subforum are related to anything within the actual City of Katy, but I'm pretty sure that it isn't a great number; I'm also not clear how Katy is necessarily average. Ditto with Pearland, except that the description is even weirder. "Torn between becoming the next Sugar Land or the next Conroe. Which way to go?" Huh? :huh:

If it is technically possible, I propose that a map of the Houston MSA be subdivided into various sectors, which would include the Inner Loop at the center, and radiating outward from that sectors described by their relative location (i.e. North, Northwest, West, Southwest, South, Southeast, East, and Northeast). Galleria area (77056) gets its own. Galveston gets it's own. An inset on the Inner Loop, shown in an exploded view to the right of the region, would delineate the Inner Loop subsectors.

All in favor?

I never even notice the descriptions. They are left over from the original HAIF. I wouldn't take them too literally.

I don't think it would make strict sense to divide strictly by the loop and then geographic region. Most neighborhoods, such as Heights, East End, etc. are well-understood. Divisions such as East, North, etc. see a little "cold" to me, and names such as Katy have worked out fine in the past.

The inner loop suggestion I thought made sense was for West End/Washington Ave.

I never even notice the descriptions. They are left over from the original HAIF. I wouldn't take them too literally.

I don't think it would make strict sense to divide strictly by the loop and then geographic region. Most neighborhoods, such as Heights, East End, etc. are well-understood. Divisions such as East, North, etc. see a little "cold" to me, and names such as Katy have worked out fine in the past.

The inner loop suggestion I thought made sense was for West End/Washington Ave.

Actually, there has been confusion in the past over East End. People sometimes post items about towns in east Harris County in that subforum.

It is. I'm willing to try a Southeast forum. I just need a name (something other than Great Southeast) and some geographic boundaries. Maybe something like the mainland south of Beltway 8, or Clear Lake or something.

"Bay Area" perhaps? Bounded by I-45, East Loop, I-10, and Galveston Bay.

OK, here's what I've done. I've changed the "Pearland" forum into "Saltgrass and Bay" with the description:

The mainland communities south of Houston and along the coast of Galveston Bay from Pearland, Alvin, Freeport, and Lake Jackson to Clear Lake, Texas City, and Anahuac.

Originally I was just going to create Galveston Bay Area, but then it seemed odd that communities so close to each other like Nassau Bay and Pearland would be in separate fora. Then I noticed we really don't have a place for Lake Jackson and Quintana and other cities in that area. I know the Pearland folks lobbied hard to get their own section, but I'm sure they won't mind sharing with Kemah and Texas City. We're all friendly here.

I've created a "Houston Metro" category, since it seems silly to lump Pearland and Webster in with New Orleans and London posts.

all of a sudden i want a steak

Yeah. Me, too.

I spent a week driving through all of the little towns down there and really got to like it. I tried to think of something that would be iconic for the whole area, but Quintana is certainly very different from Alvin. But they did all seem to have some kind of marshes. Of course, who wants to be known as "Marshland" so I went with saltgrass. Even though I'm not a botanist, it did seem to pop up everywhere. It's sort of the common denominator.

Archived