Renovation?

Montrose1100

What are you saying Montrose? Lee brown, he's the one created main street on come alive, and downtown. He's the one introduced houston to metrorail. he did alot to downtown. All mayor white doing is fixing money issues in the city.

You know, I always thought it was mayor white who is our current one, that gave us rail, I mean afterall... it was done in his time in office. Not to mention our last mayor had a nick name, "Lee Pot-Hole Brown"...

The only reason I ever voted for Brown was because of his stand on light rail and revitalizing downtown. He and I disagreed on every other possible issue. He would come into my office once a week to see other people and occasionally I would chat with him. Never about issues, because I'm sure he gets that from everyone. Just regular talk, and he always seemed like a real jerk to me. Like a salesman. All words and no reason. That's why I voted for White the next time.

I voted for Brown because of various issues (including light rail) that he presented to the table during his rush to get elected.

I voted for white because he seemed like he would be a good mayor because of his background and experience. He also seemed like he was a very decent man as well.

Sanchez struck me as fiscally irresponsible and a jerk. A number of people who met him verified that fact, so I voted against him.

Ricco

Don't forget the Lee P. use to be the Police Chief and has always had Houstons best intrest in mind. He wanted to do more to stop flooding but the enviromentelist and some of those upity council people would listen to him until it was too late (Allison). He was the man. He brought change and new things to Houston. Rail was started by Brown and White just happened to be in cause Brown couldn't run again and the rail was being built. The City became more of a Worldcity Power because of Brown, even Bushes undoing in the oil market couldn't bring Lee or the City down.

I wonder if they are going to build an expansion to City Hall like they did here in Atlanta.

If they're making rennovations at City Hall, I hope they'll respect the original Joseph Finger vision, and correct some of the landscaping errors made by a well-intentioned Mrs. Lanier.

If you'll recall, the original cement pavement has been replaced with materials that seem more suitable for a 1980's mall food court. And the reflecting pool was re-lined in turquoise, so it now resembles a kiddy wading pool. They should take a cue from the pool surrounding "Broken Obelisk" (outside the Rothko chapel) or the reflecting pond at Hermann Park, and line it in black, which enhances its reflective powers.

Actually, the whole downtown revitalization was started by Lanier. As far as Brown is concerned - he supported some good things, but how much further along would we be in those areas if they had been led by somebody who could actually manage govt. and motivate people? Lee Brown made so many enemies, they would vote against issues just for the sake of opposing him. Like the rain tax - the same people who voted against it approved a bigger tax by Bill White. Also, as the Chronicle pointed out, if it weren't for Brown's pitiful leadership, we could have passed a strong historical preservation ordinance, instead seeing it die in committee because there wasn't a mayor who could make people work together. And, if it weren't for Brown's turning our infrastructure and finances into a joke, White wouldn't have to be working to save those things, and could actually be moving us forward on quality of life.

lee brown road the coattails of idealists and the successful business people of houston. the main street coalition consisted of people such as ed wulfe, local architects, urban planners and business leaders. some of these same people were behind the cotswald project and now the buffalo bayou redevelopment. lee brown's legacy to our city is a corrupted crime lab and police force, red ink as far as the eye can see. he was an embarrassment to our fair city. light rail, along with all of the other positive things occurring would have happened without lee brown.

lee brown road the coattails of idealists and the successful business people of houston.  the main street coalition consisted of people such as ed wulfe, local architects, urban planners and business leaders.  some of these same people were behind the cotswald project and now the buffalo bayou redevelopment.  lee brown's legacy to our city is a corrupted crime lab and police force, red ink as far as the eye can see.  he was an embarrassment to our fair city.  light rail, along with all of the other positive things occurring would have happened without lee brown.

He was toxic...

Sitting in that chair, claiming to be our mayor.

lee brown road the coattails of idealists and the successful business people of houston.  the main street coalition consisted of people such as ed wulfe, local architects, urban planners and business leaders.  some of these same people were behind the cotswald project and now the buffalo bayou redevelopment.  lee brown's legacy to our city is a corrupted crime lab and police force, red ink as far as the eye can see.  he was an embarrassment to our fair city.  light rail, along with all of the other positive things occurring would have happened without lee brown.

I thought you lived in Woodlands :P

Besides, are you sure these things would've happened anyway? I think what could be said most about Brown was that he neglected most parts of the city, but turned its attention to Downtown and the light rail. That's pretty bad for the rest of us, but good for DT and Main Street. The rebuilding would've happened a lot more slowly, if at all - especially in this penny pinching state. There was no hope for mass transit projects while Lanier was Mayor, and I think Metro's plans are what's enticing people to live deep within the loop.

Archived