A Better "City Blog"

IronTiger

So here's a project that I mentioned before but have finally gotten around to doing it: A Better "City Blog". Originally, I was thinking about it being a city planning/traffic/transit blog, but the focus will be more on that with a look at modern cities. Some topics I'm expecting to cover include

- debunking popular "city du jour" topics, including obsessions on freeway removal

- actual freeway topics, including left hand exits and HOV/HOT lanes

- a more sympathetic look at suburbs and why they're not so bad

- what causes neighborhoods to decline

One of the things I want to make clear is that despite the fact I will make them as true as possible, I want it to be light-hearted and not condemning. Too many of these blogs like to force their POV on you in the name of ideals, and I don't want to do that. I also want a lively conversation, so comments are totally open (within reason).

The first is an article on urban gardens, and it's a kind of test run. Is the layout fine? Do I get my thoughts across okay? Am I totally wrong about what I'm saying? (If it's the last one, please post on the blog, not here)

Thanks!

Interesting.  I've got work to tackle but will take a gander when I get a chance.

And, indeed a "better city" will include all sorts of improvements and innovative ideas in regards to traffic/planning etc.

My 1) observation on the suburbs (in general) is that long range planning of a sort no doubt factors in to new masterplanned communities and neighborhoods.  However, I've always felt that some suburbs (League City for instance, or almost any suburb excluding The Woodlands) could have done a better job making the new sprawl feel more like a cohesive town.  Obviously this is running the clock back 10-20 years and focusing on things that at the time were far from being important.  Of course over time these neighborhoods and towns do mature.

Again, thanks, I'll check it out later.

• 2 weeks later...

I made another post, detailing Induced Stupidity. It describes the corruption of the induced demand theory (it doesn't "induce development", at least no more than any other infrastructure investment) and what it does mean, as well as the importance of arterials (why 610 West backs up). Leave comments/questions there if you have them...

I need to introduce you to Shepherd Drive. You see, Shepherd is a serious north-south artery in Houston. It starts at the North Freeway at Veterans Memorial and goes clear down to Rice Boulevard. Now, if you count the split at the Southwest Freeway that results in Greenbriar, that will allow you to ride continuously to Holmes Rd. Shepherd is a little east of 610.

If you go a bit west of 610, you have another major north-souther that changes names umpteen times, but still serves as a continuous route without making a turn. Depending on what part you are on, I present to you Bammel-North Houston, North Houston-Rosslyn, Bingle, Voss-S.Voss, and Hillcroft. It runs from north of the North Belt, clear down to old U.S. 90, and honestly I don't know, it may run all the way to the South Belt by now. I haven't been down there in years.

There are certainly ways around the West Loop, my friend. I haven't touched that part of 610 in years. I avoid that thing like the plague, lol.

I need to introduce you to Shepherd Drive. You see, Shepherd is a serious north-south artery in Houston. It starts at the North Freeway at Veterans Memorial and goes clear down to Rice Boulevard. Now, if you count the split at the Southwest Freeway that results in Greenbriar, that will allow you to ride continuously to Holmes Rd. Shepherd is a little east of 610.

If you go a bit west of 610, you have another major north-souther that changes names umpteen times, but still serves as a continuous route without making a turn. Depending on what part you are on, I present to you Bammel-North Houston, North Houston-Rosslyn, Bingle, Voss-S.Voss, and Hillcroft. It runs from north of the North Belt, clear down to old U.S. 90, and honestly I don't know, it may run all the way to the South Belt by now. I haven't been down there in years.

There are certainly ways around the West Loop, my friend. I haven't touched that part of 610 in years. I avoid that thing like the plague, lol.

I seem to recall Hillcroft ending at Fuqua before the Fort Bend Tollway came along.

Also Chimney Rock/Wirt basically runs the same distance as the west loop.

Archived