Bible Cyclorama At 2637 South Shepherd Dr.

devonhart

Mollusk, you are so right, when I was growing up in that neighborhood Jimmy Green Chevrolet was there and that was in the fifties and sixties. Anything before Jimmy Green I don't remember. I only wish my foresight had been as good as my hindsight. It would have been interesting to talk with some of the old timers in the neighborhood about things that used to be in the area. I have no doubt that I had neighbors that could have told me all about it had I known to ask.

I remember seeing the building when I was a very small child and being very impressed by its unusual shape, but never went inside. Years later, I asked a longtime resident of a nearby neighborhood about it. She told me that the cyclorama became damaged beyond repair due to a leaking roof and a hurricane, and the building was subsequently demolished.

Chester Snowden, one of the artists mentioned in the article, was still active in Houston in the 1960's.

• Like 1

This from the "Rice Thresher", March 26, 1943.

The Eight Wonder of the World

The Bible Cyclorama

WHEREIN IS OUTLINED MASONIC, HERMETIC AND ROSICRUCIAN SYMBOLICAL PHILOSOPHY.

Interpretive of the secret teachings concealed within the rituals, allegories and mysteries of all ages.

I don't know what it means but it sounds quite impressive.

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth230570/m1/2/

• The title was changed to Bible Cyclorama At 2637 South Shepherd Dr.