Houston Astronauts Parade

devonhart

As it rounds the corner at :10 a set of Main Street lights comes into view.  The Googles led me to http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/history/roundups/issues/62-06-27.pdf, which has the anticipated parade route turning right onto Main from Texas, which would also be consistent with the "no turns" sign on the light pole.  So, this joint would be across from the Rice, where the Chase Center garage is now.  Here's a postcard:

622x350.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks.  I got to say, HAIF always has the most incredible researchers anywhere.  

The NASA newsletter is pretty interesting.  I like the photos of the various NASA locations and the map of downtown showing the Humble Building and Sheraton-Lincoln as Under Construction.

I strongly suspect that the map was cut from an Enco map that some MSC employee got out of their glove compartment and pasted onto the camera ready photo offset mat.  Since the MSC (now JSC) campus came from Friendswood Development, an Humble subsidiary, I doubt they minded.

When you look at the list of dignitaries, the offices they held, and their home towns, how we ended up with MSC becomes pretty obvious.

Relevant to another thread, it looks like the mysterious former Burger King/Amex office/etc. with the copper trim in the forecourt of what is now the Marriott across from the new Hilcorp building was once the Humble Travel Center.

Yep - those stores are where the 601 Travis building is now. Stein's was at 604 Main St. and the Malone Newstand was at 918 Texas Ave. (I have a 1963 directory and Shoppers Discount Corner was already gone - you can see the "going out of business" signs on it in the video).

• The title was changed to Houston Astronauts Parade