NASA Farnsworth And Chambers Building/Gragg Building At 2999 South Wayside Dr.

Here...you can show your mom this picture of Jimmie Menutis Club from another thread, and quess who is on the marquee... It was a movie theater before that. Follow that thread down to the Las Vegas Inn...a Mexican Food Restaurant. See if that rings a bell with your Dad.

Tour of Telephone Road

yep the bell is ringing! he said i wasn't listening. LOL. good ole dad. he said the vegas place was next door to the place where the palm trees are currently. i emailed my mom the link and she said she had forgotten about the sam cooke show because she didn't get to go because it was sold out.

if we go to telwink tomorrow i'll have both of them drive by again to see if it causes any flashbacks.

How is the food at Tel-Wink these days? I was a busboy there for awhile in 1969 when I was 14. If you worked 8 hours you got a free meal, but you were limited to what you could order. Usually just hamburgers or some other sandwitch. They always served "Texas toast" with every meal and that was one of my jobs, to bring folks more bread.

It was an unusual experience for a 14 old because I would work from 6 pm to 4 am on the weekends. The bar crowd would show up shortly after 2 am when all the bars had closed along Telephone, and there were always lots of bars. Women would ask me to meet them after I got off. It didn't seem to matter to them that I was just 14, but I never took them up on their (drunken) offers.

How is the food at Tel-Wink these days? I was a busboy there for awhile in 1969 when I was 14. If you worked 8 hours you got a free meal, but you were limited to what you could order. Usually just hamburgers or some other sandwitch. They always served "Texas toast" with every meal and that was one of my jobs, to bring folks more bread.

It was an unusual experience for a 14 old because I would work from 6 pm to 4 am on the weekends. The bar crowd would show up shortly after 2 am when all the bars had closed along Telephone, and there were always lots of bars. Women would ask me to meet them after I got off. It didn't seem to matter to them that I was just 14, but I never took them up on their (drunken) offers.

it tastes great to me....don't know how they make it with the cheap prices. lines at both lunch and dinner. I don't think any of the current waitresses work as long as you did as a 14 yr old. They just use regular toast now. hrs are now only for breakfast and late lunch (til 3 or 4) . btw my mom said she's going to hunt down a pic of her, chuck berry and a friend of her's from school. evidently he was very willing to take pics with the clientele. in those days she said that was on the "other side of town". she is from the north side. my dad said that he thought johnny minutes was owned by a street boxer/fighter. and during the evenings he was the bouncer.

Edited by musicman

• 2 months later...

Here is the map I was searching for (from the jsc history site) showing all the NASA interim facilities:

47404687.nasaint.jpg

Well actually it may be suspect regarding whether it shows ALL the early JSC sites, as I worked for JSC at the Franklin Apartments, which was located directly across the Gulf freeway from the Houston Petroleum Center (JSC site 5). This was in 1963 about the time of Kennedy's assasination. The Franklin was located in the block defined by Wayside-Freeway-Bayou-Telephone Rd (I think it was on Maxwell), between site 2 and site 5.

• 2 years later...

The Mackie & Kamrath Farnsworth building on Wayside which housed NASA in the pre-JSC days and now is home to the city's Parks & Recreation Department is being renovated. Just saw the article in Sunday's Chron.

Chron article

What's up with that? This is Houston, we're supposed to tear that old stuff down! ;)

• Like 2

The Mackie & Kamrath Farnsworth building on Wayside which housed NASA in the pre-JSC days and now is home to the city's Parks & Recreation Department is being renovated. Just saw the article in Sunday's Chron.

Chron article

What's up with that? This is Houston, we're supposed to tear that old stuff down! wink.gif

Yaaah! Great news. I was in that bldg. briefly, a few years ago. Showed a little deterioration, but was obvious that it has good bones.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When did Houston become home to the Space Center? I thought it was in New York. Isn't that why they received a shuttle? Obama said that the decision was not based on politics and he has never lied to us!

Obama may very well have lied, because the decision was very political. The reason Houston was choosen for the site of the Manned Spacecraft Center in the first place was because of politics. Our congressional delegation at that time knew how to work together to make things happen for our region.

LBJ

Ralph Yarbrough

Albert Thomas

Sam Rayburn

Clark Thompson

Jack Brooks

there are others!

The current delegation is too busy posturing around, trying to get in front of cameras, or being seen with tea heads, to figure out what is good for our area. Why would the committee want to reward these bunch of selfish ass clowns.

Obama may very well have lied, because the decision was very political. The reason Houston was choosen for the site of the Manned Spacecraft Center in the first place was because of politics. Our congressional delegation at that time knew how to work together to make things happen for our region.

LBJ

Ralph Yarbrough

Albert Thomas

Sam Rayburn

Clark Thompson

Jack Brooks

there are others!

I have to agree, plumber. These men knew how to play politics (and I don't mean that as a bad thing) the way Jascha Heifetz played the violin and their constituency's concerns were somewhat higher on their list of priorities than a lot of our current representation in Washington.

• Like 2

• 10 years later...
  • 6 months later...
On 6/15/2021 at 5:01 AM, C2Ag93 said:

I was curious how many of those buildings still exist that NASA used in the early days, and how they look now. See attached images. I tried to get basically the same camera angle as the pictures in the first document / link above. Only a few appeared to no longer be standing.

Site 2 - Farnsworth-Chambers Bldg.jpg

Site 3 - Rich Building, 6040 Telephone Rd.jpg

Site 4 - Lane-Wells Building, 2002 S Wayside.jpg

Site 5A - Houston Petroleum Center, 6001 Gulf Fwy.jpg

Site 6 - East End State Bank Bldg, 4200 Leeland.jpg

Site 9 - Minneapolis-Honeywell Bldg, 2308 Knoblock.jpg

Site 10 - Canada Dry Bldg, 4750 Gulf Frwy b.jpg

Site 11 - Data Computation Reduction, 4513 Cullen.jpg

Site 12 - Peachy Building, 5511 Griggs Rd.jpg

Edited by Gurgis
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to MacKie And Kamrath Farnsworth/NASA Building Being Restored
  • The title was changed to NASA Farnsworth And Chambers Building/Gragg Building At 2999 South Wayside Dr.