Northwest Mall Area

This is when HAIF is at its best, when people offer info and someone is able to verify it. I had completely forgotten about the proposed residential component in that area. Given the new and (IMO) out of place apartment complex on Old Katy Road just inside the Loop, I wonder if the areas around Northwest Mall and the old warehouse district just inside the NW arc of the Loop will be revitalized into a heavy residential area? I've always said that even though the Marq*E has some serious design flaws, the land to the north of it offers an opportunity to add some signficant residential to the area, make it a bit livelier and even make the current design of the Marq*E a bit more useful.

Anyway, I realize I've gone WAAAY out there, given that this is about one project located a couple of miles or so away.

• 2 weeks later...

so I'm a Timbergrove resident... at our civic association meeting on Tuesday one of the board members mentioned that the county is raising the taxes signifigantly on the warehouses in this area... she mentioned that properties previously valued around $1-2million were being reappraised closer to $9million... no doubt this has something to do with Mr. Gross' purchase and subsequent development... the claim is that the land is more valuable as residential than industrial, and they now have a couple of sales in the area for making this change...

we'll see what really happens, but it definitely seems like a positive move... the senior citizens in Timbergrove all groaned as they don't want the increased land values, but this is great for the area..

• 2 months later...

The MetroNexus warehouse has been completely torn down. All of that is ready for redevelopment. An interesting note: The entrance to the HOV lane for Hwy 290 used to be an on-ramp accessed via I-10 just inside the Loop (travelling westbound). Since the reconstruction of the I-10/Loop 610 interchange, that on-ramp has been removed, and drivers have to use the Northwest Transit Center to get on the 290 Hove lane. To get to the transit center, most people exit I-10 at Washington/Hempstead/Old Katy Road, and use Old Katy Road to get to the Transit Center. While inside the Loop, this road runs just south of the redeveloping area talked about in this thread. Lots of people have been introduced to this area over the past months that they would have otherwise had never known existed.

Another example of the many, many, MANY areas that seem to be primed for redevelopment.

By the way...is "regentrification" a dirty word?

When you're talking about the Old Katy Road/Hemdstead corridor inside the loop, gentrification is definitely not a dirty word;), although it isn't really the right one since there is very little residential to be torn down and rebuilt. It's all light industrial, so redevelopment is the best word in this case.

on 290???

Jenard Gross is developing apartments, townhomes and some single family homes on the former Metro-Nexus site... it is demolished and cleared...

Alliance Builders is developing apartments and some retail just north of the Gross project at the intersection of 610/18th/290....

you've got the Houston Landscape Center and a small strip center inbetween the two projects on the east side of 610 right here....

also of note, the HISD building is looking really nice... lets hope things keep getting better around here and someone does something with NW Mall..

on 290???

Jenard Gross is developing apartments, townhomes and some single family homes on the former Metro-Nexus site... it is demolished and cleared...

Alliance Builders is developing apartments and some retail just north of the Gross project at the intersection of 610/18th/290....

you've got the Houston Landscape Center and a small strip center inbetween the two projects on the east side of 610 right here....

also of note, the HISD building is looking really nice... lets hope things keep getting better around here and someone does something with NW Mall..

I also passed by the new HISD building last night and it seems to be coming along nicely. A big improvement over the empty lot that was there and a big improvement over the "Taj Majal" on Richomond.

Those are apartments going up on 18th and the Loop? Dang, I was hoping they were condos of some sort. But still, an improvment over the Garden Center.

• 2 months later...
The old Metronexus building on Minimax drive is now down and there is a big "For Sale" sign on the property. I thought it was supposed to be a mixed use development with some single family homes and apartments, etc. Any new info on this?

<_< Honestly, I sometimes get the sense that someone wanting to make a land play will buy up some land and announce to the world that the biggest and best thing ever will be there...doing that scares away developers from building too much more competition (or perhaps incites developers to build something compatable that is adjacent to the site). Honestly, its hard for me to envision that site as much of anything...except possibly a massive Tax Credit/Section 8/Subsidized Bond-type jungle of Hardiplank with retail strip centers along the freeway's frontage roads.

The old Metronexus building on Minimax drive is now down and there is a big "For Sale" sign on the property. I thought it was supposed to be a mixed use development with some single family homes and apartments, etc. Any new info on this?

The newest info I could find:

http://www.bizjournals.com/bizspace/housto...tory_id=1218134

B)

• 8 months later...

I think that would be a great place for a mixed use tower of say, 30 storeys. The bottom 2/3 storeys could include upgrades to the mall already existing along with new restaurants and such. I am not sure about the clientele in the area though. Would something like that be attractive to the people living (or wanting to live) in and around the area? I am mostly familiar with the west side, i.e. I-10 and the SW I-59. I have passed the 290/610 junction a billion times and always thought something, ANYTHING could go there that looked better than what is currently there. Any thoughts?

m. :)

• 3 weeks later...
The talk is that it would be a joint venture between HISD and an MSL team.

The developers will need to be cautious because there used to be a smelly creasote plant along Hempstead and 12th St. Lingering environmental risks may scare some of them them off.

• 2 weeks later...

the Gross property is still for sale... not sure what the deal is, but either he thinks he can make some quicker $$$ selling it, or all of a sudden he is worried about the profitability of the project given the apartments going up on 18th.

for what it is worth I hear that a freaking Applebees is going in at 290/610 next to the Alliance project.... ugghh...

the Gross property is still for sale... not sure what the deal is, but either he thinks he can make some quicker $$$ selling it, or all of a sudden he is worried about the profitability of the project given the apartments going up on 18th.

for what it is worth I hear that a freaking Applebees is going in at 290/610 next to the Alliance project.... ugghh...

The only reason I recall last going to that mall was just for the cool country western dance club next door. Cant remember the name but it used to swing big time! I remember they had a real good buffet too. Once it closed I knew that was the last good thing to end that Mall. I think the real dilemma is that it is kind of closed off from the world sort of and theres not much in that direction to encourage people to venture there. I could be wrong.

Future Deadmalls.com material, you just wait.

The only reason I recall last going to that mall was just for the cool country western dance club next door. Cant remember the name but it used to swing big time! I remember they had a real good buffet too. Once it closed I knew that was the last good thing to end that Mall

i am slightly embarassed that i know that it was the Texas Longhorn Saloon

The problem with Gross' Metronexus site is access. If you are coming from south of the site, you can't access it from either highway or feeder road. You have to access from north and U-Turn under freeway (or access from back roads, which is a tough way to drive leasing traffic). The plans are to connect the feeder road accross the railroad track, but even when that happens- several years from now- by the time the traffic crosses the tracks its almost past the site (check out TXDOT plans and you will see what I mean) and TXDOT doesn't want to have people cutting accross traffic (from U-Turns) so it limits access even then. Great visibility, neat neighborhood, but until they get access figured out it will be tough for any developer to make a go.

And last I heard the mall was for sale. Anyone have an update on that?

Archived