18 Lanes In His Rear View Mirror

pineda

Timbergrove for the most part is pretty dumpy.  3/2/2 are rare, and one car garages are the standard.  And who wants to live backed up to a Industrial Park?

As a Timbergrove resident I can assure you that you're way off base. We have a 4/2 with a two-car garage, and we are certainly not the exception on our street. Also, many of the residents have lived in the same houses for 30 years and take a lot of pride in them. And as far as the industrial park goes, where can you live in Houston without having some sort of eyesore nearby? At least that's my own biased view.

HAR.com would beg to differ on the number of 4/2/2 available. And that's what I was responding to. The "tons" of 2,000 sf home under $200K.

My great uncle and aunt have lived on Droxford for EVER. It's getting pretty funky IMHO.

That's also where all my "I'll never live outside of the loop" friends live. Many of the homes are the size of apartments.

Forgive me if I get back On Topic ;)

These articles appear regularly in local papers. Every year or so they're printed; a list of Why Houston Sucks, then some sort of "So long, Suckers!" statement.

This person...what's his name?... his letter is unexceptional. Jeez. I can think of a million better reasons for leaving Houston :lol:

If you must dis Houston, show some imagination.

HAR.com would beg to differ on the number of 4/2/2 available.  And that's what I was responding to.  The "tons" of 2,000 sf home under $200K.

My great uncle and aunt have lived on Droxford for EVER.  It's getting pretty funky IMHO.

That's also where all my "I'll never live outside of the loop" friends live.  Many of the homes are the size of apartments.

Droxford is in a bad place. It backs right up to the easement for the industrial complex and it's right across the street from a big apartment complex.

imo a traveling salesman is hardly a level compass when discussing houston traffic and transportation. having lived in houston all of my 40 years i can remember traffic as a child while riding with my parents. i guess back then it was because the roads were few and far between - now it's because the population has swelled and property values have escalated, making sprawl a necessary evil.

as i've said many times here, i grew up on the north side. back in the early 80's many of our neighbors moved farther north, up around the 1960 area as newer, nicer neighborhoods were being developed and (at the time) the aldine and spring schools offered better education than hisd. price wise there was something for everyone, from the upscale new champion forest to more moderately priced offerings where my uncle's family relocated to the humble area. my parents refused to move "up north", because despite the crime, poverty and overall "stepchild" status assigned us by the city of houston the northline area was still just 10 minutes away from downtown (except during rush hour). living just outside the loop was nothing to brag about, except for the accessibility to the 610 loop and later the beltway 8. their decision paid off when trendy greenspoint turned into "gunspoint" and those who had flocked to 1960 shuffled on up to the woodlands to escape the crime and crumbling schools. my uncle's family fled kenswick in humble for the livable forest of kingwood.

even though some of the 'hood started looking like a bario, despite the weekly grocery sales flyers arriving in spanish instead of english, we embraced our new neighbors and learned a little spanish in the process. for the most part these were people who only wanted to raise their families in homes instead of run down apts or trailers. blue collar, working class now provided an opportunity for home ownership through outreach programs and better initiatives of the federal government. many of these very families have moved on themselves to the newly revitalized areas of houston and outlying areas like pearland and tomball.

i have often wondered how the developers forgot that while they were packing so many people into their pre-fab communities it would be impossible to move the traffic without expanding the roads. seems to me the roads should have been enlarged first to accomodate the swell - a developer told me it was never done this way, and that only after the traffic was "out of control" could road expansion be justified.

perhaps this disgruntled "ex-houstonian" was forced to relocate by his company and took his frustration out on us with this parting shot. a mere five years probably gave him just enough of a taste to feel a local and now he's moving again. the city of houston is currently undergoing a dynamic and exciting growth experience. wouldn't be the first time that someone denounced something they were being deprived of. personally, i feel sorry for the guy.

debmartin

Same. He does not know what he is going to miss by leaving Houston, nor does he know what he will loose moving to Delaware.

Ha, I'm planning on relocating to Fresno soon. I wonder what you all will say when I post my parting shots. I'm actually in Fresno now. Wish I didn't have to return to the Gulf coast.

"Ha, I'm planning on relocating to Fresno soon. I wonder what you all will say when I post my parting shots. I'm actually in Fresno now. Wish I didn't have to return to the Gulf coast." (quote, jghall00)

if you are unhappy on the gulf coast i urge to to relocate. life is too short to spend your days in a place where you cannot find happiness. it is unlikely that any one city, state (or country) has the right thing for everyone, so a person should explore as many places as possible to see what's out there. how can we compare where we are if we have not come from somewhere else? i am not one of those lone star fanatics who say, "texas, love it or leave it". i have never felt the need to defend houston the way i see others do so on this forum. maybe because i have traveled and have seen how green the grass is on the other side, or perhaps i look at things more objectively and recognize that no city is without its own faults.

and so for my situation at this time, houston is the best place for me.

i was only trying to read between the lines and explore the possibility that perhaps there was more to this guy relocating than he disclosed. many times people who work "for the man" can find themselves bounced around for the good of the company. those who are self-employed can also find it necessary sometimes to search for greener pastures or go where the action is. my point is very few people probably wake up one day and say, "man, houston sucks and i'm leaving". anyone who is stuck here and is unhappy has my sympathy, since i enjoy living here. if i was unable to travel i would probably become dissatisfied with houston as it is lacking in many areas.

i wish you good luck in your relocation, and i'm glad fresno is a place you will enjoy. my only request to you when you take your "parting shot" at us here in houston is that you try and balance what you have to say that is negative with something you can recall that was positive. you can still keep up with the forum when you move and share with us all of the good things about fresno.

debmartin

Ha, I'm planning on relocating to Fresno soon.  I wonder what you all will say when I post my parting shots.  I'm actually in Fresno now.  Wish I didn't have to return to the Gulf coast.

Fresno is different. That is in the DFW Megaplex, and your still in Texas.

Can anyone help me on this?

clean out your temporary internet files folder and see if that helps becuase i can see all of your posts. also, check for spy-ware. even better...if you're using IE, stop and go dowload mozilla.

------

as for that article. the truth hurts but that guy was spot on in. and i can't mad or disagree with him just he pointed out the obvious about this city.

i have grown to really like this city but the traffic is a major pain in the ass for me (i'm most people would agree) and it doesn't matter what time or where, it's a problem. it's so bad that once i get home from work, i don't want to go back out becuase i know i'll be stuck in traffic again to go out to eat or meet some friends. it's maddening and i feel for people who have to make a living driving around town all day. we need a batter mass transit system and need to focus more on that rather than temporary fixes such as widening I-10 or re-doing 610 by the galleria. as for the LRT already downtown, it's a joke. a rail system that criss-crosses in and out of vehicular traffic and then stops at red lights?? it's intent wasn't to ease traffic but to make houston look like a 'real city' so it could impress the olympics which i knew we would never get... :rolleyes:

[/rant]

Archived