Joseph Weingarten Mansion At 4000 South MacGregor Way

candyman

In the past I have reported on the ongoing rehabilitation and remodel of the Riverside Terrace jewel, known as the Weingarten Mansion. This magnificent estate sits on a roughly 5 acre tract of land that fronts Bray's Bayou, just east of Scott street. Nearly 8 years ago the house was bought by the Schroeders with plans to renovate restore and bring the estate back better than it was. After many starts and stops it appears to have bogged down over the last five years and come to a complete halt. This,  after the home received a new roof, new windows and doors, the brickwork was completed and it looked like they were going great guns. Then recently I noticed that the brickwork had been completely removed. I was told it was due to the fact that there was no water barrier between the brick and the studs. They have covered the house with Tyvek, and now appears they are adding some kind of decorative marble to the facade. I'm not sure where this is going, but I do hope they get they're act together and finish what looked originally like a wonderful rehabilitation of one of Riverside Terraces most beautiful structures.

On another note the pair of American Bald Eagles have been spending a lot of time sitting in the top of a tall pine tree just to the west of the large white house on the corner of Rio Vista and South MacGregor. They spend quite a bit of time there, not far from their nest which is in the east end of Parkwood Park which is one of the most beautiful and hilliest parks in all of Houston. If you ride your bike along S. MacGregor keep a lookout for them. They are truly magnificent and a really special treat for visitors and citizens of Riverside Terrace. You don't often have an opportunity to see Bald Eagles in an urban setting.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Joseph Weingarten Mansion At 4000 South MacGregor Way