Any Golfers Out There?

HeightsGuy

I am taking up golf again and want to know if anyone has ideas for me on good courses to play. I used to play but was never that good and want to pick it up again. The problem is the intimidation factor that comes with playing a course while you are still trying to learn. Are there courses in the Houston area that aren't so rush-rush where you can develop your game without the stares of people in the group behind you?

you could go to bear creek...its cheap...relaxed and they have like 3 18's to choose from...then you can work your way up from there...wildcat is a pretty cool course (probably one of the best in the city based on its topographics) the thing is most of the nice courses are on the outskirts of town or out beyond the suburbs...i live on the NW side and there is a lot of great golf up here

Thanks, I don't mind the drive at all. To me the most important factor is to be able to learn and play without people breathing down my neck.

Is Hermann that way? I would have thought the municipal golf courses in Houston would be the ones most packed with people.

I play quite often and the first rule of thumb to avoid crowds is to get the first tee time (morning). Also the Pasadena municiple golf course next to Ellington field is great for small crowds, plus it's a pretty good course for being cheap. Theres lots of water and the greens are fairly well maintained. You'll even get to see an Apache helicopter every now and again. There green fees are around 15 bucks which includes a cart.

good courses for beginners to learn on are: sharpstown, hermann, gus wortham, and brock park. these are all muni's and don't get a lot of play the green fees are low and their are lots of beginners.

you may also want to try green meadows in katy, there are no bunkers and it is very short/easy. also the executive course at bear creek is mostly par 3's and short par 4's also very good for high handicaps.

good luck,

dream

Have you ever played Treeline? I used to play it quite a bit because it was cheap and easy to get a tee time. It had 7 par 3s back when I played there, but the course has been redone since then.

I've wondered if Treeline was still there. I played there often in the mid-60's, when it was way out in the boonies. I figured it had become just another housing development by now. My best memory of that course was, I think, the 2nd hole. There was a large cow pasture to the right of the fairway. There was a big sign on the pasture fence that read, "Electric Fence...Keep Out". I lost several balls over there and never tested the fence.

Archived