University of Houston Tier One Status

I think so. Texas Monthly said UH is best positioned to do so, followed by Texas Tech. They said UH's location makes it a natural choice.

Our state only has two do to the funing structure, and for that, we should all feel ashamed.

I am hoping to make a Presidents Club level donation this year. That'll be the biggest so far for me.

Eat'em Up, Coogs!

If Texas wants to compete with California, then we need more Tier One Universities. And the UH is the perfect one to begin with. It would be an asset not only for the state, but for the city. Tier one would attract a lot of students from around the state and US as well as international and some of those bright people will stay in Houston. Its a win/win for the city and the companies here. Anyway even without Tier One funding, the UH is doing very well for itself. Third largest University in Texas in the biggest city in Texas. It has so much to offer to students and the city.

I'm not an expert on what it will take for UH to get Tier One, but one thing I think would be great is if they would build more on-campus housing and try to encourage more students to live on campus. I had a friend who went there, and I really felt there was something missing as far as the college experience was concerned, what with everyone going home at night. You have to get away from the world of home in order to experience the world of college. Before I get bashed by UH alums, I will just say that my mom went there, I had my high school graduation there, and so I have emotional ties to the place.

Another thing - having a big on campus population could help create more of a college neighborhood in the area, which would be a neat thing for Houston (look how cool Rice Village is). Maybe a Cougar Village?

I think so.  Texas Monthly said UH is best positioned to do so, followed by Texas Tech.  They said UH's location makes it a natural choice.

Our state only has two do to the funing structure, and for that, we should all feel ashamed.

I am hoping to make a Presidents Club level donation this year.  That'll be the biggest so far for me.

Eat'em Up, Coogs!

I have donated $3000 every semester to UHD. I am a platinum member there. :)

IT will come down to funding. UH is not going to get any of the oil fund money that goes to the UT system and a&m system. Finding a new funding system for UH (via the state I mean) will be the main catalyst in getting Tier1 status. I hope it happens for them.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, A Houston tradition since 1975

Funny thing is, UH already has more students living on campus than the entire population of the Rice studet body.

But it is about the oil money when it comes down to it. One rumor was for UH to be abosred by the UT System to get a fair share of the money.

UH, and Houston, thrive despite what goes on in Austin. And that is a more than fair statement.

Houston - the birthplace of Texas.

• The title was changed to University of Houston Tier One Status