Grove of Century Oaks Doomed Near College Station

Dakota79

I am so glad. I am thankful the family stood up for those trees. I am not a tree hugger per se, but if those engineers hopped in their cars/trucks and went to the job site, they surely couldn't imagine smashing them down. Besides, part of the joy of driving in the country is seeing the trees and pastures.

Seems to my foggy recollection that there is a whole lot of nothing that could be imminent domained around Snook to avoid some trees. 

I never would have figured the traffic in the area would justify a bypass. I smell a subdivision developer with friends at TxDOT. 

The whole thing seemed bizarre, and in retrospect like it was always going to be a PR disaster for TxDOT, but probably not -- it happens all the time. It was only due to the family's herculean efforts that anyone heard about it. After I read the article in our local paper to x, he called somebody he knows and likes at TxDOT, one of their people who works on environmental impact statements and mitigation and such, to find out more, and that fellow still hadn't even heard of the issue. ("Too small, maybe," said x, but also: "Their culture is overdue for change.")

I wouldn't for a moment expect TxDOT to ever justify a bypass, but the family had said they were more than willing to sell them whatever land they needed to go around the trees. In the event, TxDOT has now admitted that the "urban design" they will pursue will not cost anything more, which seems like a rare moment of truthtelling, probably accidental.

• The title was changed to Grove of Century Oaks Doomed Near College Station

Archived