Friendly Conversation With A Afton Oaks Resident

ricco67

I was waiting for a friend at Sullivan's, and as usual, he was late.

While having a drink, I started talking to the guy next to me. We talked about stuff in general and was aggravated that my friend was caught up in traffic.

I mentioned that I can't wait for public transportation to be built.

His entire demeanor changed at that point. His entire argument was basically that the proposed rail wouldn't go to where people wanted to go.

He mentioned destinations like papas steakhouse. It was all I could do to not roll my eyes at him.

He coughed up facts from some expert they hired. Basically that the train would move less people then the the lane of traffic it would take up.

He dismissed the logic about heavy traffic and how no one would use it, plus the fact that it would take a lane of roadway. Then he proceeds to claim that he was a native and knew what he was talking about.

I replied in kind and he seemed to reevaluate me.

Not wanting to get into a heated argument, I just shook my head and ended the conversation when I finally saw my friend an hour later.

yeah. their mind set hasn't changed much.

"an hour later".. lol. well that sucks that Afton Oaks residents are still so ignorant of public transportation.. :/ i would of had a hard time being as patient/understanding with him as you.

he seriously mentioned Papas Steakhouse as a destination he was upset the train would miss? lmfao.. he doesnt have a clue.

Well, keep in mind that people at bars aren't always the best representatives of a neighborhood, and neighborhoods all have different interests.

And frankly, I think a lot of pro-rail people don't really have the firmest grip on public transit either.

no. because by that point, I realized that I wasn't going to change his mind. There are times when you have to realize that people don't like having their minds challenged by opposing views.

same thing in politics.

It's also important to point out that not every opposing point of view is wrong. I like to believe that there is room for legitimate disagreement even about the best way to achieve an agreed objective.

• The title was changed to Friendly Conversation With A Afton Oaks Resident

Archived