Abandoned Building Interiors

Kirzania

So I was looking through sevfiv's sig link - Arch-ive.org - and I stumbled across this little gem, left behind in the old Central Bank building:

csq008.jpg

I came across several other things that I know lots of people would love to have in their homes, like furniture, doors, taps, tiles, signs and, heck, even an old car. Especially antique lovers from Houston who would know the history and whatnot.

Can anyone call up the owner and just ask to be let in for "looting purposes"? I mean, if this stuff's going to sit here and just rot, why not let someone who wants it have it? I for one wouldn't mind getting something from the Savoy's courtyard for my front and back yards. B)

historic houston salvages lots of things - like doors, windows, hardware, etc and sells them pretty cheap (and some are in their current auction). contacting the owners and actually conversing with them doesn't seem to be too easy.

unfortunately, most of the once cool items in these buildings have either been taken already, or are in terrible/icky shape.

and thanks for the plug B)

and isn't there a hot tub in the savoy courtyard?

historic houston salvages lots of things - like doors, windows, hardware, etc and sells them pretty cheap (and some are in their current auction).  contacting the owners and actually conversing with them doesn't seem to be too easy.

Do you have a linky? ... I figured it would be difficult to find/contact owners and I'm sure they don't want people lurking around their property, but I can dream.

and isn't there a hot tub in the savoy courtyard?

Oh, hey! I was too busy just drooling about having the sconces / lamps that I didn't even notice. Well, that'll go well in my backyard too.

Oh, nevermind. I found it.

• 8 months later...

i am sure there is, just as there is for taking them in the first place...but, i believe it is more of an"after-the-fact" issue, and that there is no real basis for legal action based upon the architectural photos (and who knows, maybe i take pictures from windows or from helicopters :D )

all kidding aside, i post them for informational reasons, and have not (yet) encountered oppostion...

Edited by sevfiv

SEV, I think I may be right about this, but isn't the Texas State Hotel, where they filmed part of "The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training", back in 1979 or 1980, the one where they play in the Astrodome ?

I know that sounds like a completely off the wall question, but if you are like me, anything related to Houston in a movie I totally remember every second of that movie.

There's a saying...

"Sometimes it's better to beg forgiveness than ask for permission."

But I like even better the way the Butthole Surfers put it...

"Funny thing about regret is, it's a lot better to regret something you HAVE done, than to regret something you HAVEN'T done...

...and by the way, if you see your mom this weekend, be sure and tell her,

SATAN! SATAN! SATAN!"

:P

SEV, I think I may be right about this, but isn't the Texas State Hotel, where they filmed part of "The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training", back in 1979 or 1980, the one where they play in the Astrodome ?

my sources say it was the Lancaster Hotel, but i have never seen the movie :D

There's a saying...

"Sometimes it's better to beg forgiveness than ask for permission."

But I like even better the way the Butthole Surfers put it...

"Funny thing about regret is, it's a lot better to regret something you HAVE done, than to regret something you HAVEN'T done...

...and by the way, if you see your mom this weekend, be sure and tell her,

SATAN! SATAN! SATAN!"

:P

i agree :) plus, if there's no harm done, then what's the problem? :D

Edited by sevfiv

I always wanted to go into an old place like that and it be left like it was when it closed many yaers ago. Then just imagine all of the people that use to come there and how its emty now and no one is even thinking about it.

I have never seen this building before:

plaza3.jpg

Edited by citykid09

• 2 months later...
pardon my ignorance but is there any legal

risk when posting these sort of photos?

You can see why the building was closed down. Look at the obsolete office machines. I think that the one on the left might be some kind of a primative computer (compared to what we have today). Only the homeless people would think about breaking into it, and only for a roof over their heads. What good would it do anyone to steal something that he couldn't sell?

• 2 years later...
So I was looking through sevfiv's sig link - Arch-ive.org - and I stumbled across this little gem, left behind in the old Central Bank building:

csq008.jpg

I came across several other things that I know lots of people would love to have in their homes, like furniture, doors, taps, tiles, signs and, heck, even an old car. Especially antique lovers from Houston who would know the history and whatnot.

Can anyone call up the owner and just ask to be let in for "looting purposes"? I mean, if this stuff's going to sit here and just rot, why not let someone who wants it have it? I for one wouldn't mind getting something from the Savoy's courtyard for my front and back yards. B)

I just realized yesterday that this site was yours, sevfiv...good job. I especially like this one because it shows the close-up details on the buildings, along with the full bldg. shot. Also included are brochures, etc. Love that. Nice to know someone is salvaging some of the fine craftmanship details from these demolished places.

• The title was changed to Abandoned Building Interiors