Big project along North Shepherd between Little York and 45?

Jesse

alrighty then.  Just getting impatient I guess.  I looks like all the substantial construction is done, it looks like they still need to stripe the southbound connector and touch up a few more things, so hopefully it will be done any day now

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Shepherd flyover officially opens next Monday, June 29th. It still needs clean up, greenery, and a coat of paint (or two). Get ready North Freeway drivers, the awkward left lane entrance ramp from Shepherd becomes a memory in 7 short days.

R.I.P. Canino exit. Noticed this weekend it has become the Gulf Bank exit, with nary a mention of Canino. I suppose with the DMV long gone, Canino is no longer a priority, nor worthy of its longtime exit, to TXDOT.

The Shepherd flyover officially opens next Monday, June 29th. It still needs clean up, greenery, and a coat of paint (or two). Get ready North Freeway drivers, the awkward left lane entrance ramp from Shepherd becomes a memory in 7 short days.

R.I.P. Canino exit. Noticed this weekend it has become the Gulf Bank exit, with nary a mention of Canino. I suppose with the DMV long gone, Canino is no longer a priority, nor worthy of its longtime exit, to TXDOT.

Why should a road that does not have a traffic light or even a stop sign on the frontage roads be listed on the exit sign?  I thought it was bizarre it had it's own exit ramp to begin with.

I anxiously await the day that the awkward left lane entrance ramp becomes a normal awkward right lane entrance ramp!  :-)

Why should a road that does not have a traffic light or even a stop sign on the frontage roads be listed on the exit sign? I thought it was bizarre it had it's own exit ramp to begin with.

I've always suspected Canino had its own exit due to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles being located right there. There was never a Canino exit going SB, but there has always (at least as far as I go back) been one going NB.

Why was there nary a mention of a Stuebner Airline/Vets Memorial exit on either direction of 45, until this flyover was built? You just had to know that to access Vets Memorial, you had to use the exit for Little York? Not very friendly to those drivers unfamiliar with the area. Just one of several gaffes that have plagued the North Freeway during my lifetime.

I'm wondering if TXDOT has figured out how to spell cemetery yet. For reference, check the VA sign on EB BW8, next time you're in the area.

I've always suspected Canino had its own exit due to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles being located right there. There was never a Canino exit going SB, but there has always (at least as far as I go back) been one going NB.

Why was there nary a mention of a Stuebner Airline/Vets Memorial exit on either direction of 45, until this flyover was built? You just had to know that to access Vets Memorial, you had to use the exit for Little York? Not very friendly to those drivers unfamiliar with the area. Just one of several gaffes that have plagued the North Freeway during my lifetime.

I'm wondering if TXDOT has figured out how to spell cemetery yet. For reference, check the VA sign on EB BW8, next time you're in the area.

Well it definitely wouldn't have made sense to have a Canino exit southbound because Canino doesn't intersect the southbound frontage road.  

Which would likely be the same reason there was no mention of Veterans Memorial northbound.  Why no mention of Veterans Memorial southbound until now is more puzzling, but maybe it has something to do with how little sense it makes to head outbound on Veterans Memorial if you're headed inbound on I-45... though it's certainly worth adding to the sign now.  

Agreed on your first point, there never was a need for Canino SB. A sign directing one to take next exit for the DMV would have probably been beneficial at some point while it was still in operation, but I'm just splitting hairs now, lol. I do need to correct my earlier posting, as I noticed it this morning. There IS a sign for the Canino exit, only it's been moved further back now. Placed just after the Parker overpass, it simply reads "Canino- next exit".

Stuebner/Vets gets a little more interesting when you are as old as I'm getting to be, and you can still remember both ends of Stuebner Airline connecting. Granted, by the time I was of any age, North Freeway's feeder had already taken over the Stuebner ROW, however, it was still considered Stuebner Airline through that small section between N. Shepherd and the old 630 W. Little York Kmart. I don't know for certain now, but that Denny's fairly recently still utilized the original Stuebner Airline address it always did.

Given that, I'd think it would have warranted a sign for Stuebner/Vets for at the very least SB North Freeway, at some point during the highway's history.

But, hey...better late than never y'know, lol.

The digital signs on the awkward left lane entrance beneath 45 states that the ramp will be closed permanently to everything except HOV traffic beginning Monday, June 29th.

I was on Shepherd Monday, and saw quite a few of the construction crew working on the SB connection to the far left lane of Shepherd, and they weren't fooling around leaning on shovels.

I believe the plan is to open both sides simultaneously. Lord, let's hope so. That will become the saving grace of the area, once you're able to skip past the flooded feeders of the North Freeway every time it comes a hard rain.

OK I just heard a report on KHOU that the northbound connector is actually going to be open at NOON TODAY!!

Unfortunately, they also said that southbound won't open until "later this year."  Now who knows what that means, maybe just in a few weeks... I can't imagine it will be that long with as close to being finished as they are.  But still... that's a little annoying.

EDIT: ok they just talked about it again and this time said "later this summer".. a little better

I passed by the new ramp on Saturday the 27th. It was nice to be able to drive on that section of I-45 N without worrying about traffic merging from the left lane onramp and slowing down everything.

I've driven the northbound connector itself now.  A lot better than trying to enter from the left. Still, southbound is the one I'm REALLY looking forward to as that ought to really shave some time off my ride home (I've got a reverse commute)

I drove it this morning on the way to Greenspoint. It is much better, but a little disconcerting. I had the strangest feeling I wasn't in Houston momentarily. Never seen Vets Memorial and Shepherd from that elevation before and it's a bit odd on the first pass. Couldn't agree with you more, LoveCowboy. That SB ramp opening is what I eagerly await opening as well. Just look at how bad the feeder road was flooded between Little York and Gulf Bank yesterday, resulting in 45 being snarled most of the evening. That ramp will help to alleviate some of the problem once it's opened.

I drove it this morning on the way to Greenspoint. It is much better, but a little disconcerting. I had the strangest feeling I wasn't in Houston momentarily. Never seen Vets Memorial and Shepherd from that elevation before and it's a bit odd on the first pass. Couldn't agree with you more, LoveCowboy. That SB ramp opening is what I eagerly await opening as well. Just look at how bad the feeder road was flooded between Little York and Gulf Bank yesterday, resulting in 45 being snarled most of the evening. That ramp will help to alleviate some of the problem once it's opened.

Actually I didn't get to see that yesterday because I was at work until 9:30 for monthend, but I did see something similar on a rainy day last week

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hmmm I wonder if it's something near the other end where the ramp dumps vehicles off onto Shephard?

I think they're installing traffic signals at W. Rittenhouse in conjunction with the project. Not sure if that has anything to do with the delay in opening the SB ramp.

The traffic signals they're installing aren't at Rittenhouse... they're at another street slightly south.  I'm kind of upset about that btw... another light diminishes the positive impact of the project in my opinion.  And there's no reason for a light at that street.

Well... I guess in the opinion of some my "no reason for a light" comment is incorrect. I emailed Webber to ask what the holdup might be, and I actually got a response. They said this:

"At the South end of the project on Shepherd, (Dillards St)there is a school crossing and the community leaders request a signal light due to increase of traffic exiting from the connector. Webber was ready to open about a Month ago but have to wait until signal light and proper roadway stripping in place. Now is schedule to open August 24th."

So there you have it

• 4 weeks later...

Well... I guess in the opinion of some my "no reason for a light" comment is incorrect. I emailed Webber to ask what the holdup might be, and I actually got a response. They said this:

"At the South end of the project on Shepherd, (Dillards St)there is a school crossing and the community leaders request a signal light due to increase of traffic exiting from the connector. Webber was ready to open about a Month ago but have to wait until signal light and proper roadway stripping in place. Now is schedule to open August 24th."

So there you have it

Still closed, as of yesterday.  Quite frustrating - there hasn't been much progress on those new signals at Dillards St in a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived